Hull cleaning

mainsale0

Visit site
Any tips for cleaning brown staining on and around the water line? I have used Y10 gel which is very good at disolving most of the stain. However some minor discolouration remains and refuses to shift. Does anyone have a magic formula?

Poignard

Visit site
I find that the Y10 works very much better in warm weather [admittedly a rare thing at this time of year] I apply it to one side at a time with a paint brush. Leave for about 20 minutes then was off with soapy water and one of those green Scotchbrite pads. This does a very good job on my 39 year old gelcoat.

AvanLoon

Visit site
Dissolve some oxalic acid (powder form) in hand warm water, and hoppa! the brown chalk (from sailing in salt water) disappears within minutes. A white hull shines in your face! Portect it afterwards with a silicon wax, and the clak staines don't come back the bext season.
The same stuff is used in a lower percentage in many household cleaners for the bathroom.
Me was told it's best to protect eyes and skin, although I myself found no problems in working with it with bare skin.
Kind regards

kengill

Visit site
Boatlife do a powder cleaner - its probably oxalic acid in expensive form! - sprinkle on to wet hull or deck scrub in with the brush and leave for 20 minutes, Wash off and polish .makes hull look like just out of the box.
Great for all those stains from the anchor locker an dthe coffee and red wine stains from the cockpir - It even removes the stains of Le Ruffian wine bricks and that stuff sticks like baby doodoo.

Ken

BrendanS

Visit site
Been posted many many times before. Oxalic acid, mixed in water and add wallpaper paste to make it stick on hull. You'll have to ask a local chemist to order for you in all likely hood, but shouldn't be a problem if you tell them what it's for. People on the forums who have tried it have reported great results, and far cheaper than proprietory brands that contain Oxalic

MacW

Visit site
I`ll tell you a funny thing about oxalic acid cleaners which I discovered this year.
That it works wonders on gel coat etc there`s no doubt, but I also tried it inside the boat to clean some marks off the vinyl sidelining - works well if you sponge it on and work it into the surface `grain` and make sure its well rinsed off with water.
The problem was, after a while I began to feel quite unwell, and only recovered after sitting in the cockpit a while.
Using this stuff in its various commercial forms, or self prepared from crystals, working outside, one is not aware of any fumes,and even working inside there is no strong smell, but fumes there must be,filling the saloon even though the main hatch was wide open. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

William_H

Visit site
For cleaning the brown stain near the water line I use half a lemon. The advantage here is that I can do it from a position swimming in the water and I feel it is not so poluting to the water. It is helpfull if someone stands on the other side of the boat to lift the water line a little to stop the water washing away the lemon juice before it has done it's magic (about 1 minute)
regards olewill (Just to upset you folks heading for the dark days of winter and cold water)

kieronriley

Visit site
use any limescale removing toilet cleaner neat on a cloth in gloved hand just apply and stand back and wach you will see the stain disapear takes about ten to fifteen mins then wash off with fresh water tescos own costs 74pence and did all of mine a 30foot long keeler that lies down on every tide Kieron

Dipper

Visit site
Whilst the chemical methods already suggested are best, as a very last resort try using VERY fine wet and dry - either P1000 or P1200 grit. I have used this method around my mooring cleats where flecks from a rusty mooring chain have been a problem and on the odd stubborn spot on the hull.