Hull Anode

TimLamb

Visit site
Hi,
My hull anode hasn't been checked for a few years, but now the boat is out I see it appears to have almost no wear. Is this normal and does it mean it is not working?
Thanks for any advice.
TJL

VicS

Visit site
It is clearly not doing very much. It may not even be necessary.

What is it fitted to protect?
What is it bonded to?
Have you checked that it is properly bonded to the item(s) it is supposed to be protecting?
Is there any sign of excessive corrosion of the item(s) it is supposed to be protecting

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
Hi Tim
I assume your boats in 'sea water' and as its a Westerley you have an inboard engine.
I agree with Vics it sounds to me you do not have it wired up or bonded correctly.
For example I am on the Tyne and I have two anodes fitted to my boat, one on the stern post and a larger 'pear shaped' anode bolted through hull.
The through hull anode is wired to a stern tube bolt and the other end to a gearbox bolt.
Another thing is I have seen a few people buy the wrong anode or pick up the wrong anode by mistake, as there are differant types for salt and fresh water.
My anodes for a guide last two years maximum baring in mind I have a motor sailor, but I would have thought it about the same for a yacht !
Mike

flyingscampi

Visit site
One of the first jobs I did on my Storm was to sort the anodes out, the wiring was rotten and had broken off the engine block.

DSC_0790.jpg

DSC_2511.jpg

VicS

Visit site
I should have checked on what boat you have.

It is very unlikely that a Centaur would have been fitted with a hull anode as original equipment although it might have been offered as an optional extra.

I used to crew for a friend with a Berwick, little more than a bigger Centaur, and helped him with much of the maintenance. That had no anodes fitted and after 30+ years shows no signs of any corrosion that might have prompted him to fit an anode. Still got its original prop and shaft and skin fittings.

It would not be a surprise, because we've come across it on here before, if you were to discover that an anode has been fitted and not connected to anything!