Howards Way

colhel

Visit site
Never watched this first time round so now I've binge watched the 1st series I'm looking forward to how Hythe Marina takes shape. Actually quite impressed with some of the technical and marketing research that went into the program, but would still like to know how they got the Flying Fish to heel over as much in what looked like in fairly calm conditions.
Glad to see too in episode 1, to attract the ladies, you need a Nimbus.

ari

Visit site
LOVE Howard's Way! Great for the boats but a lovely snapshot of Eighties style too. Some great characters.

The Leisurecruise office was actually Sealine's office at Swanwick (now Bates Wharf Southampton).

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Not seen the clip but you can get an exaggerated heal by lowering a trim tab while doing the turn.
In fact by coincidence the guy who showed me that was during the Sealine trial on the Hamble for my boat in 2002 which I guess was from the Sealine office mentioned.
……not tried it since!!

Last edited:

SC35

Visit site
Never watched this first time round so now I've binge watched the 1st series I'm looking forward to how Hythe Marina takes shape. Actually quite impressed with some of the technical and marketing research that went into the program, but would still like to know how they got the Flying Fish to heel over as much in what looked like in fairly calm conditions.

Camera crew plus kit all sitting on the wrong side of the boat?
I spotted the Nimbus as well - ideal as a committee boat.

stelican

Visit site
Not seen the clip but you can get an exaggerated heal by lowering a trim tab while doing the turn.
In fact by coincidence the guy who showed me that was during the Sealine trial on the Hamble for my boat in 2002 which I guess was from the Sealine office mentioned.
……not tried it since!!
Trim tabs on a raggie whatever next!

dunedin

Visit site
Only watched episode 1 - but the sailing shots were clearly taken on multiple days with very different wind conditions. Kept on swapping between flat calm day and breezy day interleaving the shots.
Mr Howard, plus son and daughter had very whining and characterless voices, and poor actors. Seemed to grate each time they spoke. Fortunately most of the rest of the cast were more interesting.

Dino

Visit site
Some yachts do actually have a device called a trim tab but it’s and vertically mounted foil on the trailing edge of the keel. It is usually adjustable at the helm and is designed to make the boat sail closer to the wind, upwind.
Some of the old 12 metre Americas Cup boats had them

Switch

Visit site
Where did you find the series? YouTube, Netflix, Amazon?? I’d like to watch it again too.

SC35

Visit site
On my Sky box it's on the "Drama" channel.
The same channel might be available on other platforms.
Picture quality is not great on a large screen TV.

Fire99

Visit site
Now you're talking my language. I bought the complete box set and I think I've watched it about 3 times through. Ok, personally I think Leo needed a boot up the backside for about 3/4 of the show and Abby I think I may have pushed her overboard pretty early on just to put her out of her misery (only in Howards Way land of course!). I know of few other characters that maintained such a dour face for so long. But Ken was a great chancer / villain, Charles Frere was another cracking character and my favourite of all, Jack Rolfe. The lovable pig-headed grump who met his match with Kate 'The headmistress' as he called her. :D Loads of plot twists and obviously OTT but great boats, great scenery and didn't appear to take itself too seriously. Oh and lets not forget the ridiculously OTT 80s fashion. Good times!

stelican

Visit site
Some yachts do actually have a device called a trim tab but it’s and vertically mounted foil on the trailing edge of the keel. It is usually adjustable at the helm and is designed to make the boat sail closer to the wind, upwind.
Some of the old 12 metre Americas Cup boats had them
Ah their you are then Tom must have designed it.