How to treat galvanised rigging?

JesseLoynes

www.arboryachts.co.uk
Hi,

As we've got the mast down at the moment for a little work, I want to sort out the rigging. It's all galvanised steel, it appears to be in very good nick, but there is a surface layer of rust. In fact it's not really rusty, it's just discoloured a red/brown as opposed to actual flakes of rust.

What's the best way to clean it up and what to apply to prevent it happening again? Wax? Oil? Waxoyl? etc?

Any ideas or advice would be fab, cheers, J.

srp

Visit site
Soak in hot linseed oil for 24 hrs. Re-make the servings with tarred marline and then treat them with black tar varnish.
The red/brown discolouration could be oxidised linseed oil from the last treatment.
Waxoyl is good, but it will remain sticky and in hot weather will liquify and drip onto the deck.

fluffc

Visit site
Coat them with whatever oil based product takes your fancy.

Consider viscosity of the liquid, to get it to penetrate to the core.

Also consider how dry it becomes - waxoyl is great, but doesn't go 'off', leading to sticky hands when handling.

Also consider the need for the product to remain slightly flexible.

canalcruiser

Visit site
boiled linseed oils good as it will dry.You have to soak the inner rope core.I boiled mine in old engine oil left the rigging in the oil overnight.Later i would wipe it over with a rag soaked in linseed oil.

Peterduck

Visit site
I used a Shell industrial product called Ensis Fluid on my galvanised rigging. It is very runny when applied, and dries to a grease or tar, depending on which grade you get. It penetrates the wire rope and prevents any further ingress of water and salt. You'd have to wipe off the excess from the outside. This is not a problem, as it is the inside of the rope that you are trying to protect.
Peter.

sandeel

Visit site
I remember reading years ago about coiling galvanised rigging in the inside of an old car inner tube, then putting in a small amount of linseed oil, and rotating the tyre to get a good covering. hope this is of some help.

oldfrank

Visit site
The problem won't be the condition of the outer wire but the condition of the rope core that you can't see. I always use vaseline on galvanised halyards. The downside of all the treatments suggested is that they all get sticky, attract all the cr*p out of the atmosphere and gradually make nice black lines down your sails. In some respects, galvanised halyards are better that stainless - but if you decide to replace your halyards, don't forget to have the eye in your main halyard hand spliced. Talurits don't line being too close to bends in the wire and watching a mainsail flapping gently back down the mast all on its own becomes one of life's frustrating experiences. Old Frank

Gordonmc

Visit site
I posted a similar question some time ago, so with thanks to respondents, herewith the forum's consensus at the time on a traditional recipe: 2 parts boiled linseed oil, 1 part Stockholm tar, 2 parts any old paint or varnish.
The paint/varnish is there to let the goop "go off" after it is left to penetrate the core. Take off excess with an old sock. It will take about two days.
I used a length of drainpipe to lay the wire rope in before pouring on the goop warmed in a bucket of boiling water.