How to transfer VHF GX2400 data on a backbone?

dgadee

Visit site
I have my NMEA2000 backbone operating (thanks all!) and a Standard Horizon GX2400 VHF connected up. The Triton display shows the VHF on the network and the VHF shows all the devices (Triton, depth, wind). However, the Triton doesn't appear to get any information from the VHF and the documentation only talks about setting device numbers.

What should I be looking at? There is a list of data which is transmitted by the VHF but when I use the Triton to find GPS data, it says "no devices".

dgadee

Visit site
Unusual here not to have immediate expertise proffered!

I have found something. You need to change the "Device Number" from 000 to 009. No idea why and documentation extremely unhelpful.

It seems that this solution is from Standard Horizon. Will check tomorrow.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Unusual here not to have immediate expertise proffered!
Gosh, it is an internet forum, it is summer lots of people in the UK, and other nations, are away sailing and you are grumbling that you have not had a reply in four hours!

Does the Triton read the sentences that the VHF sends? What are you expecting to see on your wind instrumentation? AWS 35 knots, AWD120°, Chanel 16.

Are you trying to set the system up to allow the display of AIS targets on a chart plotter and if you are really lucky the ability to select a target and do a DSC call?

dgadee

Visit site
Ha! You underestimate the typical speed of knowledge transfer on this forum!

Really, what I want is to know that position is being sent to the network. Once I know it is there I can test out the MacArthur Hat I have on my Raspberry Pi.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Ha! You underestimate the typical speed of knowledge transfer on this forum!

Really, what I want is to know that position is being sent to the network. Once I know it is there I can test out the MacArthur Hat I have on my Raspberry Pi.
Been using internet forums for since the early 1980's, little surprises me.

Do you have a packet sniffer for NMEA 2000? Does the handbook state what sentences it transmits?

dgadee

Visit site
I phoned Standard Horizon and they said it definitely will be transmitting onto the network and that the problem is probably with the Triton. He said he would read the Triton manual. Bad phone connection so I am just about to email him. Will get back if there is a result.

Not sure what a packet sniffer would be - something you have to buy? I am just waiting for bits to connect up the RPi so that may have a software solution?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Not sure what a packet sniffer would be - something you have to buy? I am just waiting for bits to connect up the RPi so that may have a software solution?
A packet sniffer is a bit of software that you install in a network to read the packets of data being passed along it. You would need a connection from your Pi device onto the network.