How to remove stuck drain screw on Mariner 2M

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
1710001942733-png.173642

I never know which way to twist the head for tighten / loosen on these.
An easy way to remember would be helpful.
The powered ones are great.
There are arrows on mine to indicate which way to twist.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Just using a screwdriver and whatever to turn it relies on the torque ie leverage you can obtain an impact driver will exceed what can be obtained by screwdriver and lever.
All mechanical impact drivers have a selection of bits and there will be a snug fitting one that will do the job
Yes, but as the screw already has seen some abuse, the slot calls for special care.
I'd look to replace it with e.g. a slotted hex.

Mister E

Visit site
A Hammer Through Screwdriver so that you can rapidly hit the end of it while applying the turning force is one of the best methods.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Totally different type of usage. The impact is one large thump whereas the hammer through is a faster series of lighter controlled thumps with a constant rotary force.
I don't think you have used a mechanical rotary impact driver and if you have you haven't used it to it full potential.

Mister E

Visit site
I don't think you have used a mechanical rotary impact driver and if you have you haven't used it to it full potential.
You have obviously never used a hammer through to make such a remark.
Mechanical rotary have their uses but not normally for screws in metal.

Don't knock it until you have tried it.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
You have obviously never used a hammer through to make such a remark.
Mechanical rotary have their uses but not normally for screws in metal.

Don't knock it until you have tried it.
😁 😁 😁

I have believe it or not used a hammer and reasonably often in my 74 years but having the right tool for the job in this case an impact driver would always be my first choice of course if I was caught out and didn't have access to one I would indeed improvise and a good fitting heavy screwdriver with a metal and cap that transmitted the force from a hammer blow with something like a club hammer would be amongst my first choices.

Mark-1

Visit site
In this job a rotary impact that you hit with a large hammer would be my second choice.
Each to their own.

For fear of cracking the aluminum leg?

I get that but I'd still do it, I've played cast aluminum roulette a few times and always won. (So far.)

Last edited: