How to prevent rusty Camping Gaz 907 bottle staining GRP

i_sail

Visit site
Any ideas how to stop the bottom of the Camping Gaz 907 bottle causing rusting stains on the GRP? The bottle is stored in a dedicated locker on a new yacht and I want to stop the rust from happening. The space in the gas locker is very limited and tight.

I have been looking out for buckets from various places and to date have not found one that will fit the bottle inside, and at the same time, will fit into the gas locker. Of course I know that the bottom of the bucket can be cut off to make it fit but still I have had no luck. I also have not found a plant pot saucer that would do the job. If anybody knows of a suitable bucket or plant pot saucer to do the job, I would be most grateful to hear.

I know Camping Gaz used to do a purpose made item for the job, but I have contacted the UK distributor, and have had no luck. They do not make such an item any more. I have also contacted several South Coast Gaz suppliers, again no luck.

Any advice much appreciated.

Poignard

Visit site
This is just an idea and I haven't tried it but how about standing the cylinder on a few nylon pan scourers? Or, if you can scrounge a small piece, some of that perforated rubber mat used in workshops?

White Horse

Visit site
Try Calor 4.7

Depends on locker size but you may get a Calor 4.7 in. We have a Beneteau and we changed ours. Gas is HALF the price for MORE. Well worth the switch. If you don't have a Calor Bottle you can sometimes find them at the local recycling centre and they are usually glad to get rid of them.

Don't be tempted to put it in anything and don't put anything in the bottom that can block the exit hole.

ksutton

Visit site
Second the plastic carrier bag idea. But slightly more sophisticated, cut a small bin liner down until it just covers the bottom 100mm or so of the gas bottle and use electricians tape around the top of the bag to seal it to the bottle and stop it filling with water.

I tried the frisby idea but the frisby still fills up with rusty water eventually slosh's about and still gets onto the gel coat and a drain hole in the frisby causes the same staining.

Answer is to stop the base of the bottle from getting wet at all.

Chi34

Visit site
The F4 trays are a good fit but you may want to add drain holes if there is any chance of water getting into the locker.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I use the spongy type water pipe insulation, alreadt slit, just cut the right size to suit the base of your bottle. Added advantage is that it's cheap as chips.

ytd

Visit site
I've also used split garden hose but you will need to paint the bottom of the bottle if the rust is bad. We have a stainless one but it's getting harder to find places to refill them. Everywhere is changing to swap arrangements.

CharlesSwallow

Visit site
I use the spongy type water pipe insulation, alreadt slit, just cut the right size to suit the base of your bottle. Added advantage is that it's cheap as chips.
That's a good one and cheaper than our vehicle edge trimming, I'm sure - which only fits some bottles. We also use the hard nylon mesh sold at pub & hotel suppliers (eg Makro) for glass draining mats. It is cut into a shape to fit the locker floor and together with the edging strip (stainless steel backbone version) competely illiminates the problem

Chas

Last edited:

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I had the problem of rusting Gas cylinders on my last boat. The external drain hole was about half an inch above the bottom of the locker, so the cylinder would sit in water.
I made a grid out of oval electrical conduit tube which raised the cylinder off the floor, problem solved.