How to prevent rusty Camping Gaz 907 bottle staining GRP

Quandary

Visit site
Our Finngulfs gas locker under the helmsmans seat had two bulkead mounted stainless steel clamping brackets which kept the small Gaz bottles off the floor, however we now use a 7.5kg Calor bottle which is too tall for the brackets so they have been taken out and it now sits on a removable washable and disposable piece of vinyl kitchen flooring which has a big notch cut out around the drain hole. There is a hook for the filler cap tool and a loop to carry the fog horn and spare canister which being so rarely used is usually more rusty than the gas bottle.

dslittle

Visit site
Aluminium Foil

Any ideas how to stop the bottom of the Camping Gaz 907 bottle causing rusting stains on the GRP? The bottle is stored in a dedicated locker on a new yacht and I want to stop the rust from happening. The space in the gas locker is very limited and tight.

Any advice much appreciated.

I just sit my gas bottles on aluminium foil. No space issues, shapes perfectly, keeps the gas locker clean and VERY CHEAP.

mcframe

Visit site
Who else feels like they have been mugged when they hand over a decent (but empty) container and £20 for a pile of rust full of gas :)

Wasn't that the old business model of BOC?

"We extract oxygen (or argon, for MIG, etc) from the atmosphere, bottle it and sell it to punters who then release it back into the atmosphere" ;->

i_sail

Visit site
Thanks for the advice

Thanks everybody for the advice, some really helpful ideas. I know bottle rust is not a major problem that would not bother many boat owners, I guess I am a bit fussy!

The great thing about these forums is how many ideas you get from other people, thanks again.

Iain C

Visit site
My bottles are actually in the cockpit rather than a locker...they live under the stern seat, right above the cockpit drain which is just a short tube that exits just aft of the rudder. Many Sabres have done this conversion as it is far safer than the gas being in a locker, and you see the bottles all the time which reminds you to turn them off and bubbletest regularly!

Anyway, in addition to the Force 4 tray mentioned earlier, I use these covers too, as they smarten up the appearance no end and stop the rust streaking down the sides of the bottle. In addition, if a chandlery tries to give me something that looks like it's seen service on the Titanic, one slightly raised eyebrow normally ends up in a shinier bottle being offered!

118422_633838701476718750891847858.jpg

An absolute bargain at £3.60 from these guys:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/campingaz-camping-gas-bottle-cover-p115600

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
. . . . I have been looking out for buckets from various places and to date have not found one that will fit the bottle inside, and at the same time, will fit into the gas locker. . . . . .

Karl, Have you thought about using the 'folding' red and black cooking bowls from Asda (George) they sell then as oven proof but they are a rubbery type of thing and fold 'flatish'. Various sizes and cost less than £4.00 each.

i_sail

Visit site
Karl, Have you thought about using the 'folding' red and black cooking bowls from Asda (George) they sell then as oven proof but they are a rubbery type of thing and fold 'flatish'. Various sizes and cost less than £4.00 each.

No, have not seen them, I am up in Crawley today, so will have a look in Asda. Must contact you soon, we would love to pop over and have a look at your boat. Hows the chain going? Any good? Sorry we had to rush off the other night. See you soon. Cheers, Karl