How to pick a sample for oil analysis?

MapisM

Visit site
The title says it all, really: is there a kit of some sort for picking and storing oil samples to send to the lab?
And aside from the taking the samples after engines & g/boxes are warmed up, is there anything else to consider?
TIA!

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
The title says it all, really: is there a kit of some sort for picking and storing oil samples to send to the lab?
And aside from the taking the samples after engines & g/boxes are warmed up, is there anything else to consider?
TIA!

In the UK, your chosen lab will send you the kit when you pre-pay for the analysis. I assume it's the same in IT.

tico

Visit site
P , i'd suggest visiting your local vet and scrounging a couple of large (50cc) syringes and some small bore tubing.
Then just use to suck out a sample.
Alternatively just use the oil change pump and decant into a small bottle.

MrB

Visit site
IIRC I think VolvoPaul can do it also, maybe worth a pm. I'm sure I remember a thread where he said he was authorized to do it and carried the kits.
I also could be wrong and if so, Sorry Paul. :encouragement:

crossy

www.horizoncharterboats.co.uk
Not so, I'm afraid - not that I'm aware of, anyway.
I wouldn't mind using a UK lab, though. Is there a "forum recommended" one, possibly?

I use Finnings, 25 quid buys you the kit, a pre-paid envelope (UK postage) and the subsequent analysis. I bring the engines and gearboxes up to working temperature and then use a bit judgement to take the sample from mid level in the sump.

The trend I have built up over time (i do it annually) gives me some reassurance that nothing is wearing at speed and hopefully some insight for the engineering team in the event that I did get an odd reading. Will also hopefully help to build confidence in condition for any future buyer.

Andrew

D

Deleted User YDKXO

is there a specific reason why you want to do a oil analysis P ?

Can't speak for Mapism but an oil analysis once saved me from buying a boat with worn engines. Apart from that I have done an annual oil analysis on the engines in my boat for several years. As well as the actual levels of contaminants, you are also looking for any upward trends in contaminant levels which may be an early warning of engine problems

MapisM

Visit site
is there a specific reason why you want to do a oil analysis P ?
Short answer is no, B.

For several reasons, I didn't make it upon purchase, and I think it's rather unlikely that doing it now could change in any manner the maintenance jobs that I have already scheduled.

That said, on one hand I am a bit curious to check how the oil looks like after some 1500 hours on these new to me engines, and otoh we have "lived" the boat enough by now to be reasonably sure that she'll be a keeper - more than likely up to when we will lose the interest in boating, hopefully rather later than sooner! So, as Deleted User says, I think it would be interesting to monitor unusual trends, if any.

I'm not 100% positive about that, though.
With all my boats, I followed the good old "what you don't know won't hurt you" approach, and with pretty good results... :rolleyes:
So, I might as well stick to that also for the future! :cool:
But I thought to ask in advance anyway, because if eventually I'll decide to give the analysis a try, I must take the samples before storing the boat early in Jan, since afterwards the oil will be changed.

PS: thanks everybody for the suggestions!

BartW

www.amptec.be
That said, on one hand I am a bit curious to check how the oil looks like after some 1500 hours on these new to me engines,

if you go ahead with it, pls keep me updated, it would be interesting to do the same test on both your and my MAN engines, and compare the results,
as my engines have been rebuild approx 400hrs ago.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

if you go ahead with it, pls keep me updated, it would be interesting to do the same test on both your and my MAN engines, and compare the results,
as my engines have been rebuild approx 400hrs ago.

FWIW these are the results from the oil analysis on my MAN V12 engines from 2017

Rapport-IESPM-TECNOYACHTS-160217-090358-page-3.jpg

Rapport-IESPM-TECNOYACHTS-160217-090358-page-2.jpg