How to mount an oil lamp

Hornet_UK

Visit site
I need to some help mounting an oil lamp (gypsy moth type) in the saloon of my Dehler31. I would like to mount the lamp on the compression post so is there a special bracket to do this? If not what would the panel suggest as a solution?

Thanks

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
What's wrong with the standard mounting?

4122.jpg

Hornet_UK

Visit site
I intended to use it I just didn't want to drill my compression post. I have seen a kind of collar put around the compression post and the lamp attached to the collar. It was in a pic on the interweb so I couldn't quite see how it was done.

D

Deleted member 36384

Screw To Post But Strengthen The Screw Holes

The clamp bracket is probably bespoke. Mount the standard lamp bracket directly on the compression post as the 3 screws will not affect the post in any meaningful way.

I would pre drill the screw holes, inject with neat Epoxy glue, screw the standard lamp bracket screws in to the holes, work in and out a few times to squeeze neat epoxy into the bare wood inside the holes, remove the screws and let the Epoxy set. Then mount the lamp secure in the knowledge that you have strengthened the holes and prevented any source of moisture from entering.

Use spare screws to do this or clean the screws in solvent after working in the neat Epoxy.

VO5

Visit site
I have three of these oil lamps installed by the previous owner that I have removed because they have blackened the head liner.
I wonder if the blackening is attribuable to using the wrong kind of oil.
What type of oil is used on these to avoid sooty smoke ?
Paraffin ? Rectified Benzine ? Lighter Fuel ?

Hornet_UK

Visit site
The clamp bracket is probably bespoke. Mount the standard lamp bracket directly on the compression post as the 3 screws will not affect the post in any meaningful way.

I would pre drill the screw holes, inject with neat Epoxy glue, screw the standard lamp bracket screws in to the holes, work in and out a few times to squeeze neat epoxy into the bare wood inside the holes, remove the screws and let the Epoxy set. Then mount the lamp secure in the knowledge that you have strengthened the holes and prevented any source of moisture from entering.

Use spare screws to do this or clean the screws in solvent after working in the neat Epoxy.

Sorry I should have mentioned that post is metal.

sandeel

Visit site
munsen rings/clips

I mounted a small swinging lamp on a compression post using brass munsen rings, they are normally used for mounting pipework. They come in various sizes and can be obtained from any good plumbers merchants, but you will have to adapt the lamp's gimbal and heat shield.
good luck

Visit site
SWMBO likes the idea.:eek:

In that case put in a few drops of essential oil also. Lemon Grass is a good start.
Women seem to think the smell......sorry, aroma......is wonderful.
Frankly, I think it is about as exciting as joss sticks....but what do I know about these things? :rolleyes:

VO5

Visit site
In that case put in a few drops of essential oil also. Lemon Grass is a good start.
Women seem to think the smell......sorry, aroma......is wonderful.
Frankly, I think it is about as exciting as joss sticks....but what do I know about these things? :rolleyes:

:D

They do have the most fanciful notions, I will agree.
I have not agreed to it yet...we are negotiating....on the basis that ashore she is in charge of the home...I do not interfere...with changes of decor...furnishings...etc.,I just pay the bills....BUT...afloat is another matter...the ship is mine and I am the Undisputed Master of the Vessel...:D

prv

Visit site

So's mine. I'm planning to make a kind of hardwood "plaque" to which the lamp can be screwed. There are some existing threaded holes in the post which look like they're from a previous lamp (not the same as mine though, so can't be used directly). I need to check whether the holes are in the right place to bolt the plaque into - but if not it's quite likely I will just glue it on. Sikaflex, no-nails or epoxy are all possibilities.

My post is square - is yours square or round?

Pete

D

Deleted member 36384

Ahh! Well if you ever need to make some holes in wood the Epoxy idea is a good one. I got it from the West (the Epoxy people) boat building book. Apparently screw holes treated this way have a pull out resistance greater by a significant factor than holes not treated this way. A tip for future use.

Hornet_UK

Visit site
Ahh! Well if you ever need to make some holes in wood the Epoxy idea is a good one. I got it from the West (the Epoxy people) boat building book. Apparently screw holes treated this way have a pull out resistance greater by a significant factor than holes not treated this way. A tip for future use.

Absolutely, not everybody reading this may have a metal compression post so good advice.

boaterbaz

With the singing potatoes and a mexican midget
Visit site
Why not make a bracket to accept the oil lamp that has a couple of long feet or tangs and then atach said tangs to the compression post with a good tight whipping, topped off with a bit of fancy knotwork. If you want a bit of nautical atmosphere that would be a way to go and no holes in the post!

prv

Visit site
Apparently screw holes treated this way have a pull out resistance greater by a significant factor than holes not treated this way.

...in case you're ever tempted to swing your engine out via a tackle attached to the lamp bracket? :confused:

These lamps are made of a bit of pressed metal and some thin glass. Three screws into a piece of timber is more than adequate to hold them up. Mine has been temporarily held in place with a cable-tie all last season, and not shifted at all.

Pete

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Why use the compression post? I don't know your boat, but on mine, a lamp there would be susceptible to knocks & bangs (as would my head). My CP is a usefull & strong handhold in rough conditions, a lamp on it would get in the way.

I put my lamp on the bulkhead, above sitting head height & far enough back so as to be impossible to knock or grab accidentally. It looks good & works well, keep the wick trimmed & oil reservoir full & it doesn't smoke. The overhead shade also keeps the heat from damaging the highly inflammable foam backed headlining too.

Pleiades

Visit site
How to mount an oil lamps

Try the Fastnet style rather than the Gyspy Moth. On the Fastnet the heat shield is on the gimbal which protects the headlining. Indoor lamp oil is essential, not paraffin, outdoor lamp oil or the scented stuff which will burn your eyses or give you a headache. Run 5 lamps on Pleiades - never any soot or marks on the white headlining. Gimbals work well in moderate seas but had one leap out when we came to a stop at the bottom of a big lump of Lizard sea once. Therafter have used seizing wire to hold the two parts of the gimbal together. Run the two on the bulkhead all the time when on passage as they keep damp air out of the cabin. Very comfy. On previous smaller boat made up a mounting bracket so could take the lamp away when I needed to.
Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5
Fastnetlamps-1.jpg