How to make the perfect YouTube video

lustyd

Visit site
showing the sails
A good example to focus on. Which way to move the camera while showing the sails tells a different story. A tilt shot will show how high the mast is, for instance. A pan will show how full the sail is and possibly give an idea of speed. A push in or pull out might be a good way to start or end a video. A vertical roll might be useful for a scene on deck in the sun looking happily at the sky. Random movement might show some panic as a storm approaches and you're climbing on the coachroof to reef.

Or just point a camera at the sails.

steve yates

Visit site
Regarding the actual production, my tuppence worth is….
Avoid movement of the camera except panning where possible. Films and dramas and documentaries on tv never have the camera jumping all over the place.

Shoot at least 10secs of each scene worth shooting in one take.

If you are overlaying text for a particular reason, use a clean modern looking font, and avoid coloured text.

Good sound is critical, use the best mic you can afford and use a dead cat.

Don’t use fancy effects and movement when editing.

Keep it simple, shoot visually appealing content, (even when demonstrating a repair or something, think about what angle has the best light and frame it to allow your viewer to see whats happening clearly) tell an interesting story, and people will enjoy viewing what you produce.

st599

Visit site
Two problems I usually have when asked to edit something is that the shooting ratio is like 1000:1 with no notes, and that quite a lot of shots are from one position so it's difficult to avoid jump cuts.

Looking at the Vagabonde videos people mention, they are shot on a big, single sensor camera with quite a high dynamic range and converted to HD. They've also got a polarising filter and probably an ND on to keep the shutter speed manageable. That won't be an easy look to match with a small sensor camera, so you need to choose a look that you can achieve and keep it consistent.

lustyd

Visit site
Looking at the Vagabonde videos people mention, they are shot on a big, single sensor camera with quite a high dynamic range and converted to HD. They've also got a polarising filter and probably an ND on to keep the shutter speed manageable. That won't be an easy look to match with a small sensor camera, so you need to choose a look that you can achieve and keep it consistent.
Vagabonde are just good at what they do. They have various cameras including a large MILC or two and some compact digital cameras, but they also have many GoPros, Drones, Insta360, phones etc. which they colour match in post. The main challenge is getting white balance right in camera and choosing a colour profile that either matches or can later be matched as well as getting the exposure right at the framerate you need.
They also have suitable mics with deadcats, which makes way more difference than a good camera to the end product.

Concerto

Visit site
Vagabonde are just good at what they do. They have various cameras including a large MILC or two and some compact digital cameras, but they also have many GoPros, Drones, Insta360, phones etc. which they colour match in post. The main challenge is getting white balance right in camera and choosing a colour profile that either matches or can later be matched as well as getting the exposure right at the framerate you need.
They also have suitable mics with deadcats, which makes way more difference than a good camera to the end product.
Makes what I use, sound very basic except I also use a drone.

lustyd

Visit site
Nothing wrong with basic. You're not running a million dollar a year sailing channel so if anything your setup is the more extravagant. Their last video has 1.1M views in 10 days while yours has 403 views in 2 weeks. If you extrapolate out your phone and drone setup then they are rather poorly equipped by comparison 😂

Then when I compare my own channel which has a total of 80,304 views yet somehow I've justified two interchangeable lens cameras, three compact cameras, multiple lenses, 7 microphones, two mic arms, three studio lights, wireless mic setup, various lavalier mics and 4 GoPros I feel like I may be a little over equipped :eek: One of my cameras is used exclusively on a boom arm to film the screen of my tablet, and the screen output is also captured in software 😂

Concerto

Visit site
Nothing wrong with basic. You're not running a million dollar a year sailing channel so if anything your setup is the more extravagant. Their last video has 1.1M views in 10 days while yours has 403 views in 2 weeks. If you extrapolate out your phone and drone setup then they are rather poorly equipped by comparison 😂

Then when I compare my own channel which has a total of 80,304 views yet somehow I've justified two interchangeable lens cameras, three compact cameras, multiple lenses, 7 microphones, two mic arms, three studio lights, wireless mic setup, various lavalier mics and 4 GoPros I feel like I may be a little over equipped :eek: One of my cameras is used exclusively on a boom arm to film the screen of my tablet, and the screen output is also captured in software 😂
Definitely too many cameras and equipment. Let me have a link to see some of your videos.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site

lol!
I've got an old GoPro and my phone sometimes!

laika

Visit site
There seems to be a huge thread drift from the original question "How to make the perfect YouTube video" to which regular YouTube sailing posters you enjoy watching the most.

Thank you for your concern and indeed "I like such-and-such" doesn't necessarily tell me what it is about such-and-such that makes it enjoyable and, of course, I do strongly suspect that my tastes differ in many respects from the majority of other forumites.

However, aside from the fact that thread drift is an inevitable consequence of the Internet and it's everyone's right to take the conversation in which ever direction they fancy, (see post #19) there are a number of good comments mixed in which do address the original question.

Perhaps I should just try to watch more YouTube. I definitely know I want more narrative than a travelogue. But I rarely seem to get past the first 5 minutes before thinking "life's too short...especially when I've just signed up to a 7 day trial of paramount+"

laika

Visit site
I've justified two interchangeable lens cameras, three compact cameras, multiple lenses, 7 microphones, two mic arms, three studio lights, wireless mic setup, various lavalier mics and 4 GoPros I feel like I may be a little over equipped :eek: One of my cameras is used exclusively on a boom arm to film the screen of my tablet, and the screen output is also captured in software 😂

I'm not sure what Lars Von Trier would have to say about that

laika

Visit site
Perhaps I should just try to watch more YouTube. I definitely know I want more narrative than a travelogue.

This morning's education has consisted of Wildlings and Florence (as recommended earlier in this thread). Only skipped through a few, so I may have missed the "evolution" and best bits. Although there's something I find (doubtless unfairly) somewhat irritating about the wildling bloke the videos are excellent. The construction and editing seem better than the high-grossing channels. No wind noise, good use of music. The edit is great: The punctuation of the long shots with little close up detail works better (for me) than those long continuous takes of an estuary that other YouTubers might do which no matter how beautiful makes my inner voice shout "Oi! Tarkovsky! Leave it!" . His wife adding a different cultural perspective is a big plus. Doesn't sound like he's a big fan of this forum. From the presentation standpoint it's great and this is certainly one to study for how to avoid many of the pitfalls of YouTube video making. But the only reason I might watch more is to look at his filmmaking techniques. I don't find myself caring about their story. Florence the first couple of videos seem to be missing. The first one I was able to watch wasn't in the same league. Annoying wind noise in the sailing bits. Inconsistent use of music. Travelogue-y style "look at these nice pictures of Portugal". They're not annoying people but they seem pretty ordinary. I skipped to a later video where their production values have increased greatly but as far as the narrative was concerned I was still totally unengaged. Oh and it made me realise something I dislike in a video which is the obviously "read from a script" voiceover.

I suspect I'm not target audience. Maybe the majority of people watching are living their lives vicariously and want to see nice things they'll never personally see or just engaged by the novelty and strangeness of a boat. For me "boat life" is pretty much "normal" and I'm far less interested in seeing random people sailing somewhere sunny than doing it myself. I think what I want is "a story" with engaging characters. The early La Vagabondes had that.

I was briefly distracted by a video about how much sailing vloggers earn and outside the top 5 it doesn't seem to be all that much with #10 apparently at $28k/year which ain't going to go very far.

doug748

Visit site
...........Although there's something I find (doubtless unfairly) somewhat irritating about the wildling bloke the videos are excellent. The construction and editing seem better than the high-grossing channels. No wind noise, good use of music. The edit is great: The punctuation of the long shots with little close up detail works better (for me) than those long continuous takes of an estuary that other
YouTubers might do which no matter how beautiful makes my inner voice shout "Oi! Tarkovsky! Leave it!" . His wife adding a different cultural perspective is a big plus. Doesn't sound like he's a big fan of this forum. From the presentation standpoint it's great and this is certainly one to study for how to avoid many of the pitfalls of YouTube video making. But the only reason I might watch more is to look at his filmmaking techniques.
I don't find myself caring about their story. ......

The Wildings caught my fancy because they did it the hard way, starting in North Wales with a 5 grand boat and taking it from there. Soldiering on through lockdown trapped on the French canals needed more spunk than most.

The oriental wife has baled out back to China, she certainly had her share of brains and beauty but looks like the drive ran out. He has taken on an old Wharram cat that some suspect is beyond his powers to make good, we shall see.

Kelpie

Visit site
This morning's education has consisted of Wildlings and Florence (as recommended earlier in this thread). Only skipped through a few, so I may have missed the "evolution" and best bits. Although there's something I find (doubtless unfairly) somewhat irritating about the wildling bloke the videos are excellent. The construction and editing seem better than the high-grossing channels. No wind noise, good use of music. The edit is great: The punctuation of the long shots with little close up detail works better (for me) than those long continuous takes of an estuary that other YouTubers might do which no matter how beautiful makes my inner voice shout "Oi! Tarkovsky! Leave it!" . His wife adding a different cultural perspective is a big plus. Doesn't sound like he's a big fan of this forum. From the presentation standpoint it's great and this is certainly one to study for how to avoid many of the pitfalls of YouTube video making. But the only reason I might watch more is to look at his filmmaking techniques. I don't find myself caring about their story. Florence the first couple of videos seem to be missing. The first one I was able to watch wasn't in the same league. Annoying wind noise in the sailing bits. Inconsistent use of music. Travelogue-y style "look at these nice pictures of Portugal". They're not annoying people but they seem pretty ordinary. I skipped to a later video where their production values have increased greatly but as far as the narrative was concerned I was still totally unengaged. Oh and it made me realise something I dislike in a video which is the obviously "read from a script" voiceover.

I suspect I'm not target audience. Maybe the majority of people watching are living their lives vicariously and want to see nice things they'll never personally see or just engaged by the novelty and strangeness of a boat. For me "boat life" is pretty much "normal" and I'm far less interested in seeing random people sailing somewhere sunny than doing it myself. I think what I want is "a story" with engaging characters. The early La Vagabondes had that.

I was briefly distracted by a video about how much sailing vloggers earn and outside the top 5 it doesn't seem to be all that much with #10 apparently at $28k/year which ain't going to go very far.

I'm going to jump to Florence's defence here. They did not set out to be 'tubers. They saved some money and planned to circumnavigate in three years. They only started doing videos as a side line, but by the time they were in the Pacific they found there was the possibility of actually funding their whole trip that way, so they doubled down and went 'pro'.

Obviously there's a huge difference between the early videos and the current ones, and the very first couple I think they are too embarrassed to even upload.

What I like about them is that there's very little hype or drama, and they seem to have a similar outlook, budget, and boat to ourselves.

Kelpie

Visit site

Take that with a bucket of salt. Nobody knows how much these channels are really making.

I saw a guy claiming that Florence were making £300k a year. I think if that were true, you'd be able to tell. They'd have seen their families at some point in the last six years if nothing else.

laika

Visit site
I'm going to jump to Florence's defence here.

Apologies if it sounded like they needed defending. They seem a perfectly nice, ordinary couple and I didn't mean to be critical, only to say that it's not something that engaged me (although I confess I didn't watch many).

they seem to have a similar outlook, budget, and boat to ourselves.

Maybe that's a thing and why I don't engage with the majority of these. I'm not sure I fit into any of the categories I think we can divide some of these channels into . Conversely if I were to make a video it would likely be so niche that I'd have max 14 subscribers even if it had speilbergesque production values.

lustyd

Visit site
$28k/year which ain't going to go very far.
It would be enough to keep sailing as long as you like. I think $6k would be workable if you were frugal. Obviously this isn't something to get into because you want to be rich, it's something to enable you to exit the normal workforce and drudgery of everyday life.
I have a spreadsheet to work out when I can retire (I'm 43) basing my requirements on £1k/month until 90. The trick is to reduce lifestyle rather than get more money, and if I could earn a few quid on YouTube that would help.

jac

Visit site
Take that with a bucket of salt. Nobody knows how much these channels are really making.

I saw a guy claiming that Florence were making £300k a year. I think if that were true, you'd be able to tell. They'd have seen their families at some point in the last six years if nothing else.

I had a quick look at at their patreon site as this piqued my interest.

As of 5 minutes they have 590 patreons paying per video produced. basic package is £2 + VAT per video - all the way up to Star Patreons at £47+VAT. Tghey issue 1 a fortnight so 26 per year. On their last video they name checked to thank 31 Star Patreons . 31 x £47 x 26 = £37,882 paid to Patreon.

Even if all 559 other Patreons are on the cheapest deal ( and I'm surprised by how many are Star Patreons) then makes £29,068 so a total of £66,950 in subscriptions. No idea how much Patreon take - say 20% and you're still left with £53,560 income this year.

Then add in the advertising revenue. Cadoha did one about a year agop where they broke down the ad revenue from their best watched video and it was just over $US600 in actual earnings so about £500 for 160,000 views - The videos that Florence have had online for over 2-3 weeks are around 100k views each so assume £300 ad revenue per video gives another £6500.

Total then of about £60k p.a. Vastly different from the £300k claimed but a very healthy income to support 2 people living without a mortgage to pay.

steve yates

Visit site
Just watched a new to me video, (sailing free spirit) set in the uk which I thought really demonstrated what a good put together youtube vid is capable of. Very well filmed, and really well edited, good mix of narration and music and even educational :) The narrator has a lovely voice thats easy to listen too, something that can really ruin a video.if it grates on you.

Worth a watch.