rogerthebodger

Visit site
Any idea where it is

What about
e4c97939c1db2c28e975578e9e2e8e1b.jpg
this

Stemar

Visit site
Those of us who've been sailing for a few years will have stories of going aground - the honest ones, at least ;)

What's your most interesting one?

Mine are all a bit unspectacular, like going aground within 10 minutes of buying our first, and only, boat. keeping well to the right coming down the Frome, Milady was driving and I was below, trying to work out how to get the echo sounder working, and wondering what the shloop, shloop noise was. Then it stopped and Milady said, We've stopped". Just after high tide. Fortunately a passing Moody pulled us off and the rest of the voyage back to Portsmouth was uneventful.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Those of us who've been sailing for a few years will have stories of going aground - the honest ones, at least ;)

What's your most interesting one?

Mine are all a bit unspectacular, like going aground within 10 minutes of buying our first, and only, boat. keeping well to the right coming down the Frome, Milady was driving and I was below, trying to work out how to get the echo sounder working, and wondering what the shloop, shloop noise was. Then it stopped and Milady said, We've stopped". Just after high tide. Fortunately a passing Moody pulled us off and the rest of the voyage back to Portsmouth was uneventful.

I ran aground within an hour of buying my first boat as well... looking back I did wonder what the nice stick with the traffic cones on top meant... no harm done.. rising tide and backed her off the gloop.... and the first of the many lessons learned...

agroundagain

Visit site
My user name says it all....
Mainly because I have a half tide mud mooring. I should enter ploughing contests. These are nearly always the result of leaving or arriving a bit too early so not a big deal.

I have only been stuck once and it was both funny and embarrassing. Leaving Bembridge Harbour the echo sounder, in the middle of the hull showed about half a metre of room but the starboard bilge keel got firmly stuck in the bank of the dredged channel. Fifteen minutes later we were off but in those fifteen minutes we were the subject of lots of banter from the moored boats.

Daedelus

Visit site
I was close to Stansore point when crew mentions that the people up ahead are walking both sides of the S Cardinal.

It was almost dead on low tide and very little wind on a lovely sunny afternoon and we had the cruising chute up and were moving at perhaps half a knot over the ground perhaps 1 knot through the water when we became aware the scenery wasn't moving at all. Took quite while to realise we had stopped.

Robin

Visit site
This isn’t Photoshopped. The boat is a Sadler Starlight, winged keel model, and I have snaffled this picture from the OCC Facebook page, who got it from the Daily Telegraph.

She came off without damage.

View attachment 94463

:giggle:
Pretty sure this boat rafted to us in Audierne just after we had been towed in by audiene lifeboat with a dead engine and no wind from close in to the Raz de Sein rocks and tide carrying us towards them. Their crew were somewhat scathing, pointing out we were a 'sailing' boat and they had raced from Jersey to Morbihan without needing engine assist. Long story but told several times on here before.

What goes round comes round.....:giggle:

Resolution

Visit site
Fantasie 19, Stemar, I can beat your speed in running aground. I had just bought my first (and only) motorboat, a 32 foot Bertram with a massive 280 cu in petrol V8 engine. An experienced pal volunteered to help launch down the yacht club concrete ramp. He drove the truck, I took the wheel of the Bertram. Once in the water I fired up the beast and at tickover revs clunked it into reverse. Unfortunately the wheel had been left on full lock and before i had woken up we had executed a smart U turn and ploughed back up the concrete ramp , spitting out bits of s/s propellor blades as we went.
A 30 second maiden voyage? o_O :cry::cry:

Resolution

Visit site
Ouch - that isn't just embarrassing, it's expensive. 280 cubes must drive a big, expensive prop! Ah well, lesson learned. You won't do it again.
Worse still, I was a posh pom in a mainly rough Aussie yacht club. Took a long time to live it down.

[159032]

Visit site
I was on a friend's 18ft Foxcub in the middle of the Humber, just about slack water at the top of the tide. We knew we were in the middle because we were passing under the bridge and the middle is where the cables come down to the road deck. He offered to put the kettle on and I took the helm. About 5 minutes later we ran aground. Top of the tide in the middle of the river. It was a bilge keeler so drew 2 ft.

As there was bugger all wind, we let go the sheets, started the outboard, crowded into the stern and it pulled itself off the mud. Not having the faintest where the mudbank was we just kept going backwards for a while and then made for the deep water channel.
That's the trouble with the Humber. The mudbanks follow you around.