How to go aground properly

Bathdave

Visit site
This isn’t Photoshopped. The boat is a Sadler Starlight, winged keel model, and I have snaffled this picture from the OCC Facebook page, who got it from the Daily Telegraph.

She came off without damage.

View attachment 94463
This isn’t Photoshopped. The boat is a Sadler Starlight, winged keel model, and I have snaffled this picture from the OCC Facebook page, who got it from the Daily Telegraph.

She came off without damage.

View attachment 94463

The owner of that boat is a friend of mine, in fact he was round at my house for a garden party last night

If I had seen this post yesterday I would have drawn his attention it it

He still gets ribbed regularly about it .

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
The owner of that boat is a friend of mine, in fact he was round at my house for a garden party last night

If I had seen this post yesterday I would have drawn his attention it it

He still gets ribbed regularly about it .

Do give him our collective regards. And he gets maximum points for style. I have always ended up trying to make tea with the boat at an undignified angle.

Dutch01527

Visit site
I was volunteered to sail on a Sunsail boat chartered by a friend of a friend for a Industry Sailing Challenge race ( twice around the IOW).

Skipper was a newly qualified coastal skipper who had done a residential course in the Algarve and had little experience. Not a problem except that he turned into a shouting, bullying monster as soon as we cast off. He insisted on personally helming, tactics and navigating despite polite and low key offers to assist. Within an our we ran into Bramble Bank on a falling tide.

We were towed off by a passing life boat and limped back in to Cowes. Not the skippers fault apparently, “the chart was wrong”.

Stemar

Visit site
That's the trouble with the Humber. The mudbanks follow you around.
Like just about everywhere else on the East Coast!

My first experience of brown water sailing was as one of a couple of sighted crew for a blind skipper. He's an amazing bloke, a better sailor than I'll ever be. He could hold a course to windward perfectly, just from the wind on his cheek. Anyway, I'm helming up the Stour and we're passing Wrabness, where there's a green buoy quite close in to the "wrong", Wrabness, side of the river and half a mile to the other bank. Being from the Solent, where buoys are almost always for the big stuff, I held my course. The log read, "Stopped, dropped anchor and had lunch" Fortunately it was on a rising tide so, by the time we'd eaten, we were afloat and continued on our way.