How to get a copy of your VHF Short Range Certificate if you've lost it?

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
If your vhf short range cert is lost because you've had it for a long time then would it not make sense to upgrade to dsc ?
If you hold the 'old' VHF licence (pre -1999) or a UK aviation radio licence you will need to take the vhf(src) radio license test to use a dsc radio.
You also have to register with ofcom for a ships radio license. Then you get allocated your call sign and mmsi number.
I have the old VHF and a UK Aviation licence (probably expired) but I just crept into the DSC days. It was a big red button and a few well hidden menu options that no-one ever used back then if I remember rightly. It was Solitaire of this forum who actually ran the course at the outfit Jon Mendez and Powerskipper worked at too.

Oiltrash

Visit site
I did mine at the same time I did Day Skipper theory so I just assumed it was - the RYA definitely offer a course these days for a considerable sum of money. I can do it on line for £50 or even less so I'll just do it again anyway.
As just having last week completed my SRC - you will still need to pay RYA the £60 exam fee and sit in person - on top of any cost for online training

wonkywinch

Visit site
Yes, exam fee after an online course is an extra £60. TBH, it might be worth a day of your time to do it face to face as the schools all seem to have the latest kit that you can play with. Despite having held a Radio Amateurs Licence and Aviation Radio Licence, I still found the DSC stuff new and worth attending a class for. Every boat I now get on, I spend 20 mins clearing old DSC alerts from the box.

Mendez & Tec Rec etc are good schools around the Solent but there are many others to choose from.

Oiltrash

Visit site
Doesn't most of the exam fee go to the examiner, either self employed or on staff of training company, rather than the RYA?
Don’t know on that but the £60 is paid to RYA and that then produces the application certificate to take to the exam , which they submit if successful

Thistle

Visit site
Slightly off topic, but in 45 years of working offshore, having a VHF certificate has never ever been a consideration to any user.
I've never heard of any mention of it in an environment, particularily on diving vessels, where h/h and fixed VHF are (almost) freely available across the range of skills, with multiple users.
Is this because the 'users' aren't the 'owners' of the units?

Only time I've ever used mine was as photo ID for a UK internal flight. The person doing the "check" didn't bat an eyelid.