How to find the fair value for a surplus outboard?

LiftyK

Visit site
May I ask a similar questio? Yamaha 2B 2HP 2-stroke. Looks great. Runs well. Dates from around 1990-95. Head once removed to ensure water channels are clear. I’ve looked on eBay, Boats and Outboars and Apollo Duck but there are too few to make a value judgement. I don’t know if there are few around these days or if they sell as soon as they are put up for sale. Thoughts?

Refueler

Visit site
May I ask a similar questio? Yamaha 2B 2HP 2-stroke. Looks great. Runs well. Dates from around 1990-95. Head once removed to ensure water channels are clear. I’ve looked on eBay, Boats and Outboars and Apollo Duck but there are too few to make a value judgement. I don’t know if there are few around these days or if they sell as soon as they are put up for sale. Thoughts?

Reason you don't see for sale - most people are hanging on to them with chains and padlocks !!

LiftyK

Visit site
I have two in the barn ... will I sell - no way !!
I do understand. I love my Yamaha baby outboard. An electric outboard came my way and alas I can’t justify keeping both. I searched again today and Yamaha 2B really is scarce though I did see a couple on Gumtree.

B27

Visit site
There's one on ebay getting no bids at £150.
Others have sold recently for up to £200.

There are quite a lot around, but finding a good one for sale can be hard.
They are quite old and corrosion can be a problem.
You can get cleaner, quieter 4 stroke models for sensible money now, and if you really value the light weight etc, then a trolling motor and a lithium battery is an option, so there is a limit to who wants one.
A lot of people want more than 2HP it seems, as tenders seem to get bigger!
I have one, not sure it's a 2B, it's from about 2001 I think? and it's not for sale, but I wouldn't pay a lot to replace it, as it often seems excessively loud these days.
I'm hoping some good sensibly price electric outboards are around the corner TBH.

Like many boat items, the right buyer will pay a premium when the right thing comes along at the right time.

LiftyK

Visit site
There's one on ebay getting no bids at £150.
Others have sold recently for up to £200.

There are quite a lot around, but finding a good one for sale can be hard.
They are quite old and corrosion can be a problem.
You can get cleaner, quieter 4 stroke models for sensible money now, and if you really value the light weight etc, then a trolling motor and a lithium battery is an option, so there is a limit to who wants one.
A lot of people want more than 2HP it seems, as tenders seem to get bigger!
I have one, not sure it's a 2B, it's from about 2001 I think? and it's not for sale, but I wouldn't pay a lot to replace it, as it often seems excessively loud these days.
I'm hoping some good sensibly price electric outboards are around the corner TBH.

Like many boat items, the right buyer will pay a premium when the right thing comes along at the right time.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and observations. I will not set my sights too high.