how to extend the boom

TSailors

Visit site
hi folks . I have a comfortina 32, and its bimini is a bit too long . if I have to open up the main sail, I have to remove the bimini, which is unpleasant if it's raining or very sunny .

so I thought I'd try to extend the boom so it sticks out a bit longer. the mast and boom are Selden, and it has lines going through it for first and second reefings.
any ideas how to extend the boom ?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Once you fit the new boom you will need to buy a sail that fits the boom. In turn that will put the main and foresail out of balance leading you to purchasing a new foresail. This leads the boat to always being over canvased (to much sail). Which leads you to buying a bigger boat.

In reality you have three options:
  • Sort out the Bimini;
  • Don't go sailing it is sunny or wet; or
  • Do nothing.
The mast and length of boom is usually calculated to fit the boat.

dunedin

Visit site
Sandy beat me to it. Extending the boom doesn't help, as end of sail, sail cover, reef lines are all I'm the same place.
Changing boom, sail etc is major investment and as Sandy says would lead to unbalanced rig.
Find a quick way to open the bimini.
Of course Sandinavian boats were generally not designed for the Med, biminis etc but I think you were warned about that 😀

Sea Change

Visit site
If I'm understanding you correctly, you can't reach the zip on the stack-pack because of the bimini?
I had the same problem with my boat because I built a permanent bimini from rigid solar panels.
My solution was to add an endless line from the zip, going to either end of the boom. So your could open or close the stack-pack from anywhere that you could reach that line.

TSailors

Visit site
I'm so sorry I meant to attach a photo but forgot.. As you can see the V shaped loop at the end of the boom is well before the end of the canvas. The loop is where I attach the pulleys and the control line.
WhatsApp Image 2024-08-06 at 18.03.56.jpeg

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
It's technically possible to extend the boom, you would need a short length of the same cross section as the boom, and a sleeve, which will slide inside the boom and it's extension.
You'd then drill out the pop rivets and remove the boom end fitting, slide the sleeve inside the boom, slide the extension onto the sleeve and pop rivet the the extension in place. Then replace the the boom end fitting.
Sleeving masts sections to make the mast longer is quite common, and you often see it done on older boats, built when the maximum extrusions lengths were limited.
You need to ensure the the extended boom doesn't foul the back stay, when the boon is raised.
You may also have problems finding a matching section for the boom, and a sleeve to fit. Talk to Selden, or a good rigger, who may be able to find a short section from a damaged boom.
My guess is that it will be quite an expensive modification.
Definitely possible, but only you can decide if it is worth the additional cost.

TSailors

Visit site
Thank you every one for your assistance. I hadn't considered the backstay to be honest! Indeed that complicates matters.

dunedin

Visit site
I'm so sorry I meant to attach a photo but forgot.. As you can see the V shaped loop at the end of the boom is well before the end of the canvas. The loop is where I attach the pulleys and the control line.
View attachment 181015
Not sure what you mean by “attach pulleys and control line”, but guessing that fitting is where the mainsheet is supposed to be attached to, but been removed?
Lengthening the boom wouldn’t help if the mainsheet is the issue, as zero space between the cockpit tent and the backstay. Some bigger boats manage to fit the mainsheet ahead of the sprayhood to avoid a bimini, but doubt that would work with your smaller boat.
Need a picture from further back but suspect the boat is designed to be sailed with the cockpit tent removed.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
That is an unusual way to hold a boom when on a pontoon.

I clip the mainsheet to the toe rail on the port side allowing entry on the starboard. A popular way I've seen in France is release the topping lift and have the boom sat on the deck.

johnalison

Visit site

I clip the mainsheet to the toe rail on the port side allowing entry on the starboard. A popular way I've seen in France is release the topping lift and have the boom sat on the deck.
Scruffy lot, the French.
Although called a Bimini, it looks like a cockpit tent to me. There may be boats that can be sailed with a tent up but not mine, a bit of motoring being the best I could do. I think that investing in decent oilies and some sun cream might be the easier option.

Metalicmike

Visit site
If the problem is freeing the boom from the backstay then set up boom restrictors forward of the Bimini (you should have them anyway), then if you need access to the end of the boom you can access it from the pontoon.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Scruffy lot, the French.
Although called a Bimini, it looks like a cockpit tent to me. There may be boats that can be sailed with a tent up but not mine, a bit of motoring being the best I could do. I think that investing in decent oilies and some sun cream might be the easier option.
They do things differently, but as Mr Kipling would say, 'They make extremely good sailors'.

I am talking to my sail maker about a cockpit tent that I can sail with while fully erect (pun indented) as at higher latitudes I feel the wind in my old bones (even with decent foundation wear and oilies).

Metalicmike

Visit site

My boom would foul the bimini and I would also have to disconnect the kicker. I have my boom above the bimini but offset to starboard clear of the companionway and secured with my boom restrictor.

B27

Visit site
If you want the mainsheet to be out of the cockpit, clear of tent/bimini, then a mainsheet track on a gantry like an American Hunter begins to make sense?

Otherwise, a mid-boom sheet, but that implies a strong, heavy boom.
Or maybe a carbon one...

Boathook

Visit site

I hold my boom to one side like, but it also has the mainsheet gently pulling against it. Stops the boom constantly moving side to side causing wear on all the fittings and as a bonus for me, keeps the boom and mainsail cover clear of the solar panel.

Tranona

Visit site
Thank you every one for your assistance. I hadn't considered the backstay to be honest! Indeed that complicates matters.
This may help you in making the mods for Med type sailing.uk.boats.com/sailing-boats/1980-comfortina-32-9494349/ This one is wheel steered but I see many are tiller steered but the mainsheet track across the middle of the cockpit seems common. All very congested by the time you add the necessary shade and solar that makes life tolerable in hot climates. Hope your boat does not have the teak decks that seem common on this model!

William_H

Visit site
I too am confused about the wisdom or need for extending the boom. I wobnder if reducing the size of the bimini might be an easier option.
However to extend the boom you have a choice of extending at the front or the aft end. To extend the aft end would mean the extension must take the loads of the clew of the sail. So I would go for extending the boom at the gooseneck end. Here loads are mostly end pressure with some down ward load from boom vang .
If it is only a small extension you may be able to fabricate a structure to extend the attachment of the gooseneck in some manner that looks workman like. ol'will