How tight should a windlass clutch be?

gregcope

Visit site
Thanks all.

so next question is “how tight” with the wrench?

enough to stop most slipping i assume as you probably want some give to protect the motor.

sailorbenji

Visit site
Thanks all.

so next question is “how tight” with the wrench?

enough to stop most slipping i assume as you probably want some give to protect the motor.

You're over-thinking it, with the provided wrench...for all intents and purposes it will be "FT"....the wrench being the size it is on purpose for the average human.

Venus1

Visit site
Correct. I actually wrote (most of) the Pro-Series manual back when I worked there...I think it's pretty clear but clearly not everyone does, despite paraphrasing exactly the correct procedure from the manual text.

The actual root cause of the OP's slipping issue though, is that the clutch nut definitely needs doing up more than "hand tight", whether there's grease on the mating faces or not. Again, clear in the manual that the clutch lever should be used for this operation.

Just to be clear, the blob of grease to stick the drive pins in place for Pro-Series is simply to aid re-assembly, otherwise you need 15 fingers or patience. The small amount on mating surfaces simply makes the release and control of the gypsy speed via the clutch a bit more linear and predictable. It's not strictly necessary and if you were really struggling for grip, you could clean it out without any real adverse affect. The key thing with windlass clutches is simply to actually use them now and again, to prevent them seizing with salt build up etc.
Excellent. Thank you ?