How much gap between the tack of the sail and the boom?

johnalison

Visit site
I can't quite see from the photo what is holding the tack down. It looks as if there is a ring on the casting behind what I take to be the old furling ring to which I would expect the tack to be attached, probably with a shackle. You have plenty of free length on the clew outhaul to accommodate the change in position.

patrickza

Visit site
For the photo nothing, but when holding it down there's still a gap of around 25cm or so. Then also on the top of the sail, is that the right position or should there be less gap there too?

Hermit

Visit site
I think if you attached the tack and put some tension on the halyard it wouldn't look quite as bad but it is possibly a bit shorter in the luff that it needs to be. Who measured it - you or the sailmaker? If the sailmaker, you have some recourse if you wish, if you measured, does it match the length you specified?

PabloPicasso

Visit site
See if you can find a way to attach the tack lower down? Maybe a strop or shackle?

A closer up pic of the tack area would aid us in advising.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
It looks like it is cut for boom roller furling and not slab reefing. The higher tack on a roller furler allows the boom not to droop when rolled because of the roach. If the tack and clew are the same elevation, the boom drops at the clew when rolled.

You need to talk to the sail maker.

Boathook

Visit site
Fit the tack, haul up reasonably tight and release topping lift. See what it looks like then. The main is loose footed so will have a different shape compared with one fitted to the boom.

garymalmgren

Visit site
Take the new sail off and lay it on the ground over the old sail.
that should clear things up a bit.
Looks a little small from here.

gary

patrickza

Visit site
I'd say the topping lift needs letting off first, bring the sail down at the tack and then tension the foot. Right now the boom is angled up so causing it to look wrong
Well spotted, I think you're right, let me try that first and take some more pics.
From the photo angle it looks as if the sail is a bit short on all dimensions. The head isnt at the top of the mast, the tack isnt snug to the gooseneck and the clew isnt near the end of the boom. Or is it meant to be like that?
Definitely not meant to be like that, but let me get the new shots and then see. Sailmaker came to the boat to measure.
what's the boat?
Catalac 9M, but I removed the roller furling in place of a slab reefed sail.
no sign of black bands either which would help with the expected location
Sorry, I don't actually know what those are, could you tell me more please.

Refueler

Visit site
I'd say the topping lift needs letting off first, bring the sail down at the tack and then tension the foot. Right now the boom is angled up so causing it to look wrong

Yep ..

Topping lift is lifting boom
Sail is Loose footed so should at mid point often sit on or at side of boom
Sail is hoisted too high - causing too great a gap at tack.