How much does yours use?

ChrisP

Visit site
Friend of ours has 2x400 Cummings V8's flat out they chew about 60 gals / hour.
Looking around the show on sunday we found ourselves on the volvo stand having seen a pair of their V12's in a boat. Now comes the strange part.

Cummings V8 400Hp = 30Gals/Hour
Volvo V12 712Hp= 30-35Gals/Hour according to their leaflet and the man on the stand.

No mention of soltron so where they getting the ponies from?

Confused

ChrisP ;o((

What do you mean the sea gull in front's walking !!!

Geoffs

Visit site
Would think your friend's engines are a bit on the thirsty side. Would normally expect a modern turbo charged diesel to use about 0.4 lbs/bhp/hr. So 400 hp is about 160 lbs /hr. A gallon of diesel is about 8 lbs, so would expect 20 gals /hr.

Now the Volvo, 712bhp, that's nearly 285 lbs /hr, or 35.6 gals /hr. Close to the claims you say Volvo make.

Old Chinese proverb 'Man who sail boat into rice field, soon get into paddy'

G

Hi Chris,

Do'nt know much about the Cummins V8's but the Volvo 's are the Straight 6 Cyl 12 litre turbo and after cooled engine producing 700 Hp at 2300 Rpm. The fuel injection system on this engine is computer controlled to give maximum fuel economy with max power and lowest possible emissions. The Cummins are probably larger capacity V8's with mechanical fuel control and thus less fuel efficient. Hope this helps.

ChrisP

Visit site
Know what you mean about the technology, but Sabre were quoting figures similar to the cummins ones for the new Cat's.

ChrisP.

What do you mean the sea gull in front's walking !!!

byron

RIP
Visit site
Mine uses

My boat uses about 2 bottles of Scotch, 3 bottles of Vodka, 2 bottles of Gin, 3 cases of diet coke and innumerable bottles of beer every week. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

ô¿ô
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.freeware.mcmail.com/435.htm>http://www.freeware.mcmail.com/435.htm</A>

oldgit

Visit site
Re: Mine uses

Aha, but what additives do you stick in to keep the bugs(pink elephants) away

Just hold tight dear it will not be so rough when we get round the corner,trust me.

G

Have not actually used our boat (Vee Express 267) at maximum speed as we are river based, but she apparently uses about 30 galls per hour at 38-40knots top speed, this is with Twin Volvo-Penta V6's each 205hp.