How much classic schooner does $350,000 buy?

dancrane

Visit site
t1-01Mainabeam_zps639a7a8d.jpg

Yes, that's another beauty. After an afternoon at the boat show yesterday, I now find myself drawn almost exclusively to classics (and new boats of traditional design).

I was genuinely surprised to reflect last night that I feel completely indifferent towards Oysters, Sunseekers etc; even the glossiest, cleverest and slickest new boats leave me absolutely cold, whereas almost all old boats (and new ones of traditional style and fit-out), whether big or small, shabby or pristine, I find gloriously atmospheric.

I reckon the new boats are so keen on looking sharp, they also feel bland, boring & comfortless. I don't question their efficiency, etc, but I really can't envy their owners.

What'll it be, £120,000 for 32ft of slabby new French plastic, or for this rather handsome steel staysail schooner?

39983747.jpg

I can't see why anyone prefers new stuff. :rolleyes:

dancrane

Visit site
I meant, I can't see why anyone prefers new styles.

Given that modern low-maintenance construction could produce a new yacht of fabulously traditional design, I don't understand why today's buyers mainly covet today's dull designs.

What a pity that owning a traditional design seems inseparable from the requirement for large investments of time and money, simply because a trad boat must be an old boat.

DownWest

Visit site
Dan, plenty of trad modern builds, if you can afford one. Covey Island Boat Works' Westernman Pilot Cutters, for example. Tom C had a 40 & Michael Chapman of this parish has a 50.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk

Given that modern low-maintenance construction could produce a new yacht of fabulously traditional design, I don't understand why today's buyers mainly covet today's dull designs.

What a pity that owning a traditional design seems inseparable from the requirement for large investments of time and money, simply because a trad boat must be an old boat.

I think it may also be the case that modern construction couldn't produce a traditional design, or at least, not easily or cheaply. The distribution of weight, shape of hull and so on would all be different with modern materials. Easier and therefore cheaper to design a boat with the materials in mind; the constraints on (say) hull shape between a moulded hull and a plank on frame hull are completely different. One is constrained by the ability to bend and twist planks to follow a fair curve; the other by constraints on re-entrants and removal from the mould. Rigging - the traditional wooden masted rig is constrained by the availability of long, straight bits of wood, and by the strength of wood. So you have to have separate topmasts and composite construction. Aluminium provides single spars of almost any reasonable length. Winches allow larger sails to be handled, so there is less imperative for subdivision of sail plans.

Point is, traditional type yachts can be and are built today - but there is no way they can compete on price with a yacht designed for the materials. Increased price = decreased sales, so the price goes up again, until you're looking at one-offs where the material doesn't matter and you might as well build with the traditional material.

dancrane

Visit site
I know what you say is true, but thanks for that clear description of the reasoning.

Long live the small-output trad builders!

Visit site

I agree with you that I think most modern boats are horrible.I'm sure wonderful new boats could be made using old designs but the costs would be high & you would'nt have the savings that fashion & production line methods produce.

I went to an incredible length to buy the boat that I now own because of the wonderful old fashioned traditional design.If I were rich I would still buy a boat based on old designs because I like the character that's where the real quality is for me.:encouragement: