How many to crew an EBoat?

emsworthy

Visit site
Hi after some advice please.

My Mate has just bought a beautiful EBoat currently moored in Poole and I have offered to help him bring it back to Chichester Harbour in a couple of weeks time. We plan to take it easy and do it in two day sails stopping at the Folly overnight. Leaving aside the issues of berths and the need to be really good friends, how many crew would the panel think would make for a relaxing sail?

The more there is the more ballast we can put on the rail as well I suppose as I'd also heard EBoats are a bit on the tender side. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Tim

temptress

gbr195t.com
It’s been a long time since I sailed an Eboat. Late 1980s in Port Edgar nr Edinburgh in fact. I always liked them. We used to race with 5 but you could fit 6. Poole to Chichester is about 40 miles. Cowes roads to Chichester bar is about 12 miles.

IMO opinion 4 is the most for comfort but you could fit 6 at a push.

What is it called? there was a trend to have them all start with E. Is it one of the ‘later ones’ with a coachroof of sorts and windows or the flush deck version?

Check the keel retaining mechanisim. We had the keel drop out of the bottom on one as it got lowered too much and the retaining pins gave way. Made for an interesting sail home but no damage was done.

Hope your friend enjoys the boat :)

Last edited:

Strathglass

Visit site
I normally used to race the eboat with four up on the Forth.

With two up is possible but quite hard work.

In heavy weather make certain the washboards are well secured.

Very nice boats to sail but most of them seem to be going over to Ireland.

Iain

emsworthy

Visit site
This is apparently one of if not the last coachroof version ever made and given as a prize at the London Boat Show by Silk Cut. Unsurprisingly it is called SilkE and has been loved and cherished all her life. From the photographs and description she seems in almost concours condition (or whatever the boaty equivalent is?). I was thinking four as well but having never sailed one your answers are most valuable.

Cheers

Tim

gliptus

Visit site
Hi, I used to own an E-boat. For fast and slick racing you need four, or three at a pinch. For cruising two is fine in most weathers, but three would be better in force five or over, both for weight on the rail and for handling the foresails. I did most of my sailing with just two onboard and she sailed beautifully. I hope you have a great trip.

EBoat126

Visit site
SilkE is a lovely looking boat. We race our E boat (Eufo) with 4 normally, had 5 on board last year racing in big wind to try to keep her flat, The trick is to reduce sail early and sail it like a dinghy.

KenMcCulloch

Visit site
This takes me back! In the late 80s/early 90s there were still quite a few E-Boats at Port Edgar and elsewhere on the Forth, I don't think there's even one left now. They are fairly tender, much like a big dinghy and knockdowns were/are not that difficult to achieve. If you are sleeping aboard it will be quite crowded enough with 4.

emsworthy

Visit site
Thanks guys,

As always your collective wisdom is very much appreciated and it's great to hear such favourable things about this boat. Certainly my mate is delighted to have become her new owner and I'm really looking forward to sailing her. A good NW 3-4 would do me please.

Tim

rr_123

Visit site
This is apparently one of if not the last coachroof version ever made and given as a prize at the London Boat Show by Silk Cut. Unsurprisingly it is called SilkE and has been loved and cherished all her life. From the photographs and description she seems in almost concours condition (or whatever the boaty equivalent is?). I was thinking four as well but having never sailed one your answers are most valuable.

Cheers

Tim

I spoke to the guy selling SilkE at at length, I was sooooooooo tempted (already have two boats and have to lose one before buying another), she sounds like a great boat; with a hint of jealousy I hope you and your mate have an excellent sail!

Daydream believer

Visit site
I normally used to race the eboat with four up on the Forth.

With two up is possible but quite hard work.

Why would it be hard cruising with 2. Personally i would rather sail with 2 than 4 as with 4 2 are going to have little to do all day & have to sit in an uncomfortable position exposed to the weather or down below with limited headroom.
4 in a small boat is difficult all moving about in unison when trying to get into bunks at night or get up & get dressed in the morning etc.
I think 4 would be hard work. I have a 31 ft boat & try never to take more than 3 when cruising. One certainly does not need more than 2 to work the rig

Seajet

Visit site
I've crewed E-boats a couple of times, impressive boats in light conditions, and I know the trip from Poole to Chichester well - bearing in mind you're cruising not being heroes, and the space available, I'd think the two of you would be fine.

langstonelayabout

Visit site
SilkE? Isn't she Colin's old boat? I'm sure she had a good trailer.

Poole to Chichester in 2 hops is going to be a nice sail. Ideal for 2 or 3 of you.

My E-Boat was sailed in anything between force 0 to force 8. I sailed her singlehanded and raced her with 3 and 4 aboard. Sleeping 4 aboard you need to be really friendly with the others on board and those in the forepeak must understand that whilst they will be playing footsie all night, their heads will be in close proximity to the keel winch. A bruised face is a definite possibility.

On a breezy day your boatspeed will appreciate the 4th member of your crew for their body weight alone. If you can, get a window put into your genoa to save you sending one of your crew to the bow every couple of minutes to see what is to leeward and closing with you.

All in all, a fine purchase. I still miss my E-Boat...

PeteCooper

Visit site
I raced and cruised my Intro 22, very similar in appearance and concept to the E Boat(except for the fixed keel), for many years - raced with 4 and cruised with anything from 1 upwards. More than 4 would have been too many. In fact I remember one year we won the two handed race(our class) - and that was about 90 miles.

Even Chance

Visit site
I have E126 Even Chance, and I sail it in the northern waters of Scotland all by myself.
It sails very well indeed single handed, and is very easy to manage.
If I want to go hell for leather.... I sail with two, one for the headsail and me on main and tiller. Goes like stink! 4 up is a bit crowded to be honest.

alant

Visit site

My Mate has just bought a beautiful EBoat currently moored in Poole and I have offered to help him bring it back to Chichester Harbour in a couple of weeks time. We plan to take it easy and do it in two day sails stopping at the Folly overnight. Leaving aside the issues of berths and the need to be really good friends, how many crew would the panel think would make for a relaxing sail?

The more there is the more ballast we can put on the rail as well I suppose as I'd also heard EBoats are a bit on the tender side. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Tim

Here's me thinking you should contact the Kriegsmarine.;)

BelleSerene

Visit site

Cheers.

Tim

I didn't think they were on the tender side at all.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-boat