Visit site
Mirror
Spice
Hunter 707
Moody 44
RM880
Solo
Phantom

Went up from dinghies and back down again. Only the Moody and RM for cruising, the rest for racing. Based on my experiences of fun vs cost vs hassle I reckon I'll end up in a 20 footish trailer sailor for day sails with the family and a bit of singlehanded cruising.

John_Clarke

Visit site
Various kayaks
Self designed and built 24' plywood catamaran (a failure but I learnt a lot!)
Scorpion
6 windsurfers
(then first child)
Wayfarer
(then second child so concerned about capsize)
Hunter Duette - sailed well but poor accommodation
Hunter Ranger 265 - good accommodation but limited pleasure to sail
Westerly Ocean 33 for last 12 years - good accommodation and sails beautifully

GAJ

Visit site
Well I can tell you 40 years of boat ownership has just flown past. Think I will stick with the Amel now though as she fits our requirements very well at the moment and importantly SWMBO is most definately smitten.
That said a small lottery win could change all that but I suppose I'd have to buy a ticket first:rolleyes:

GP14
Spitfire 20ft
International Dragon
Leisure 20 bilge keel
Etap 22
Mirage 28 bilge keel
Dufour 1800 centre plate
Dufour 31
Warrior 35
Seamaster 925
Jaguar 21
Moody 31 fin
Maxi 84
Another Leisure 20
First 405 Tall rig.
Oceanis 440
Amel Sharki

evm1024

Visit site
4 or 5

Ranger 20
Cal 2-29
Ericson 39
Gulfstar 50

I do have an 8' sailing dinghy

I expect that I have 2 more boats in my future. A smaller sailing boat in the 22' range and then in the end a 14' day sailor of years gone by, something like a c-lark or who knows.

Not counting a fleet of kayaks, a few zodiacs and 2 12' aluminum fishing boats. (That would bring us up to 12 or 13)

Regards

smee

Visit site
Haha..... finding the one and only in a boat is a myth, it is like being 17 and thinking that girl/boy you just met is THE ONE!!! Invariably you soon realise they have far more shortcomings than bargained for!

I had a Foxcub 18, when I was 18 and got fed up of banging my head. Then a MG Spring 25 and got fed up of being a mountain goat and cups of tea in lap after anyone leapt aboard! Then I had a Master 30 which was pretty good and only replaced because I got a Moonen 1250 when I was 26. Now the Moonen 1250 was the ultimate for many a year but having been gone 4 years now I can see now it was a mistake and I would never do that again! I probably should have kept the Master, and indeed likely as not could still have had it! Steel is great for strength but you either need pots of money or to liveaboard and be tinkering full time! Also despite being what I had dreamt about for years, it was quite a blow to discover just what a pain she was too manoeuvre, she certainly was not a pleasure!

Next I would like either a Leisure 18 or a Voyager 40, it depends on budget and state of mind when the time comes! The Leisure would provide hassle free fun whilst the Voyager could provide cruising ability. However hassle free fun sounds pretty good as I have enough stress and sleepless nights with the boats I work on now!!

Sequoiah1

Visit site
Four

A six ton Hillyard, Lymington Slipway five tonner, an Arden 4 tonner and a Hillyard twelve tonner.

The twelve tonner has just sold so now we have the luxury of looking for something else.
The six tonner was great but a little slow, the Slipway was a nightmare, the Arden was simplicity but too much plastic and the Twelve tonner was great, too comfortable and not what it turned out that we needed.

Resolution

Visit site
I used to work overseas so had to be one of the "a boat in every port" types, but was very faithful and only ever ran one at a time:

Choy Lee folkboat (HK)
Peterson half tonner (HK) - the first GRP yacht made in Communist China
Hobie 16 (Papua New Guinea)
Bertram 32 (PNG) - the only mobo on my list
Mistral windsurfer (PNG)
Impala (HK)
Signa 33 (UK)
Sabre 426 (UK)

But in addition for a while I managed a charter fleet in Lymington of which we owned (together with a bit of help from the bank....) about fifteen Jeanneaus which were of course hired out. Did that make me a boat pimp?

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Sailing cruisers;
81-94; 1969 Westerly 25, loved it but kids got too big
94- ; 1973 Westerly Pentland, see no need to change.

Dinghies etc, oh dear I have been a bit profligate here!
Prototype Cheshire Cat 14' catermaran by Derek Brown (bonkers wet boat)
Glasplies canoe (rubbish canoe)
Olymp lV canoe (excellent canoe - son now has it)
Heron Dinghy used with kids until my brother sold it on me :mad:
Various inflatables - I still have 3 (2 useable)
Ply gunter home made (bought off deserted wife & finished by me) for sale now
Minisail (utterly battered, but complete) also for sale
Laser - most popular boat in the fleet
Solo - also somewhat battered but I like it
Lightweight white water kayak (still have)
Wave ski (still have)
Slipper funboat/ canoe (most recent e-bay aquisition)

So that's 9 excluding inflatables that I still have.
Edit: I forgot the two PBK kayaks that have gone to a pal for recanvassing - he gets to keep the single when they are done.

Last edited:

TamarMike

Visit site
Three:

Heavy 15' clinker pulling boat to which someone had added a Bermudan rig and drop plate.

23'6" carvel Cornish lugger, standing lug when I bought her which I later changed to dipping lug

28' Atlanta 28 (grp sloop)

(also 4 kayaks)

Wunja

Visit site
A mere two.

An OK dinghy when I was a kid. Bought from a classified in the local paper because neither my father or I had a clue - a Mirror or Wayfarer would have been much more appropriate for our needs!

Current Jaguar 27.

Visit site
Starting in '78: Skipper 17 (I've got a pic of Old Harry sailing with me in that one)
'81 Seal Sinbad
'00 Parker 21
Now looking for a Shipmate Senior for my senior years (all right! - dotage!)