How long for a service of a Yanmar 3YM20?

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
My 3YM20 has just passed 500 hours. Local engineer is quoting 7 hours labour for the 500 hour service. As far as I can see, the 500 hours is a normal service (change oil, oil and fuel filters, clean air filter, change impeller, check (and drain if necc) water and sediment from fuel tank, adjust belt tensions, check electrical connections). In the past this has taken about 3 hours. The only exceptional item at 500 hours is to replace the injection elbow and gasket. Is the injection elbow anything like a 3-4 hour task? I should add - access to the elbow is not impossible but it is cramped.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Halo

Visit site
The extent of work depends on years of age as well as hours run. It may be necessary to adjust tappets or change coolant for example. Best thing is to work with him and revoke if he is fannying about.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Like a lot of Liveaboard I service my own engine each year , Volvo D2 40 and as well as every thing you mention I also remover my exhaust elbow to check and decarbonise And remove my heat exchanger and Clean , change the sail drive oil , and flashing out the engine and replace cooler and a few other job , the accessibility to my engine isn't that good in places . All in all it never take me more then four or so hours depending how people stopping over for coffee and a chat .
Have you through about taken a course to lean to do it your self , it's a good way to learn about your engine and it will save you pots of dosh .

Spyro

Visit site
Ask around for other quotes it seems way over the top for an experienced engineer. Your elbow change should take no more that an hour. 7 hours is a day's work. He's taking the mickey.

Last edited:

Topcat47

Visit site
Time for a lot of these jobs is dependent on accessibility. To service my 1GM10 I have to remove the companionway steps and the cockpit sole even so there's no way I can get to the side of the engine. Access to the top of the engine is still pretty diabolical. 7 hours is a bit of a stretch, I usually manage to do it in four but if even minor problems arise, it can take much longer, especially anything to do with the water injection to the exhaust. If anything has to be done to the gearbox and shaft, it's sometimes easier to remove the whole thing. Assuming you have a Twister, how easy is it to get to the top/side of the engine?

sailorman

Visit site
Time for a lot of these jobs is dependent on accessibility. To service my 1GM10 I have to remove the companionway steps and the cockpit sole even so there's no way I can get to the side of the engine. Access to the top of the engine is still pretty diabolical. 7 hours is a bit of a stretch, I usually manage to do it in four but if even minor problems arise, it can take much longer, especially anything to do with the water injection to the exhaust. If anything has to be done to the gearbox and shaft, it's sometimes easier to remove the whole thing. Assuming you have a Twister, how easy is it to get to the top/side of the engine?
Ken changed the boat but not his user name

VicS

Visit site
To aid the discussions here is the service schedule

not for a GM or a VP D2 but for the Yanmar YM series engines

YM%20service%20schedule.jpg

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
You don't mention change coolant. Having just done both my 3YMs yesterday and both had clean expansion tanks but one engine was running out clean water after 2 refills and re-drains whereas the other took 6 or 7 (I lost count) complete flushes before clear water was coming out. The earlier flushes were all rusty-coloured. Both engines are now 50% OAT but that rusty engine took me about 4 hours although I was able to do other stuff at the same time. one thing I can guarantee is that a marine engineer would just have bunged in the new coolant after draining the old.

Richard

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I can guarantee is that a marine engineer would just have bunged in the new coolant after draining the old.

Richard

That is the difference between doing it yourself and letting someone else do it.

On my first 200 hour service which I had no choice but to let a Volvo dealer do the job in case of a warranty issue.
I was given an outrages invoice for an oil and filter change, fuel filter change , checking , gear oil , fan belt, and engine cooler checking , labor was for four hours, which I know very well he wasn't on the boat for half that time , then to top it all up I could see that the water strainer still had dirty In It when I inquired why it hasn't been cleaned , I was told the plastic top was on so tight , they didn't want to force it open in case it broke .

They refused to alter the bill, but offered to give me spare service parts to make up the difference for the Hours that I had queried.
What I paid was still no where near what is should have cost.

That's the last time Volvo Touch my engine three year warranty or not.
At that rate, I would of had to have a major problem with the engine to warrant paying their prices for the next three years.

charles_reed

Visit site
My 3YM20 has just passed 500 hours. Local engineer is quoting 7 hours labour for the 500 hour service. As far as I can see, the 500 hours is a normal service (change oil, oil and fuel filters, clean air filter, change impeller, check (and drain if necc) water and sediment from fuel tank, adjust belt tensions, check electrical connections). In the past this has taken about 3 hours. The only exceptional item at 500 hours is to replace the injection elbow and gasket. Is the injection elbow anything like a 3-4 hour task? I should add - access to the elbow is not impossible but it is cramped.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The "big" (change oil and all filters) every 250hrs on my 3YM20 takes me about 40', if the engine is hot. The change oil only about 10'.
My book-of-words recommends cleaning the injection-elbow @ 1000hrs. When I did that, there was little cleaning out required (and I looked @ 1800 hrs), there was little obstruction, though hard and difficult to remove.
The agent is probably using the Yanmar-recommended times which as with Yanmar spares are excessive.