How long do Jelly Fish live in the BIlge?

tillergirl

Visit site
Had an odd day today. Went out to try to sort out a problem with the engine alarm sounding faintly when nothing's wrong. Motored into the Blackwater and the alarm sounded for real. Undo the top of the seacock strainer and the back pressure pops out to Jelly Fish which slid under the three/eights gap I always regretted leaving when fitting the engine. They had joined the Chrome Vanadium 12mm spanner which slid down there when a RIB zoomed past me on the mooring. Now if I fill the bilge with seawater to pump out the Jelly Fish, they'll float to the surface and the strainer won't touch them. Now whilst I keep a respectable bead of moisture in the bilge, I suspect that it's going to get fishy down there. What with the shrimps down the sink drain from when I washed out the log impeller, theis is getting a bit much.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
That's nothing. I had to strip my cockpit and sink drains just because someone dropped an olive. That's the last olive noshing drinky-poos ever being held on my boat!
ps also Blackwater. Perhaps there are gremlins out by the Nass.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
In the days of my youth (also Blackwater!)

I had a crab in the bilge of the Kay, an 18ft half decker which was my first boat.

I was immensely proud of him - for two reasons.

First, there was the old Mersea story, told by Hervey Benham, that, when a fisherman said his smack wanted caulking, "Admiral" Wyatt would ask, "Any crabs in the bilges?", and if the reply was "Only small ones" he would say "You leave her alone then, and when a good big one can walk in and out I'll caulk her!"

Second, he had obviously arrived when, beating down the Wallet against a stiffish breeze, I had her over so far that she took water into the cockpit over the lee coaming, which proved that I was a real hard case sailor!

Much later, Mirelle had the parallel rulers under the engine for two years - she was knocked down on the Broad Fourteens and somehow they flew there and wedged themselves in - found when I rebuilt the compartment!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
Re: In the days of my youth (also Blackwater!)

Sounds like you have the solution. Put a crab into the bilges to eat the jellyfish.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Neraida

www.neraida.org.uk
Please settle this for us.. Jelly Fish... like Jelly Babies, worms, etc etc or jellyfish that swim about stinging stuff????

Ta

<hr width=100% size=1>

tillergirl

Visit site

I can't beat that or even match it. Scapping up a crab that way beats Maurice Griffiths walks on the Gunfleet in the middle of the night for Gun Ho.

Do crabs eat Jelly Fish? We have the best fed Crabs in the country here at Mersea. Crabbing on the jetty is the most serious pastime there is here so get a crab or two is going to be easy. Do you think it will be possible to train the crab to retrieve the 12mm spanner?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site

no I don't think crabs it jellyfish.. however the Jellyfish may help <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=ym&Number=365273&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&part=>Jimi</A> with his holding tank problem.. Jellyfish eat that shit/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Re: jelly fish in your bilge

Try poring some EVAPORATED MILK down it may then dissapear.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site

Well, with a good big, bad tempered, West Mersea crab, your main concern would be whether he will eat a 12mm spanner!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site

Ulana's bilge is VERY deep, maybe 18" or 2' deeper than I could reach. Maybe if things work out with your Mersea-specially-bacon-fed-stunt crab he could to go down there and retrieve the nut of the back of the alternator, some thread cutters and assorted bits and pieces for me. Course, he'll have to meet me out by the Bench Head because I draw too much to go round to Mersea, but a crab with these kind of attributes, that shouldn't present a problem.
Which reminds me (see below)...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
shaggy crab story

a man goes into a fishmongers, points at the live tank and asks - why has that crab got a wooden leg? THe fishmonger replies, 'only the other day I was motoring up the Blackwater when the rear seal went. Cecil the crab went down there with some tape, bound it up and got me back to port. He saved my life.'
Yes, says the first fellow, but why has he got a wooden leg? The fishmonger replies, 'Later, I went aground on the Gunfleet and my VHF had packed up. Cecil, he swam to Walton, tapped out a distress in morse on the Coastguard's door, then showed them the way back here. He saved my life.'
Yes, says the first fellow, but why has he got wooden leg? The fishmonger replies, 'I was out on tillergirl and a load of man eating jellyfish squeezed their way through the seacock. Cecil saw them off before we'd got back to the Quarters. He saved my life'
Yes, says the first fellow, but why has he got a wooden leg?
The fishmonger replies,'Well, you know, a crab that good. You don't want to eat him all at once.'

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: I cannot tell a lie

"Was" being the operative.. what size is it now after umpteen shit-eating jellyfish?.. probably got some growth hormones from the cheep burgers Jimi eats and is now Godzilla size/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>