How high above the gooseneck....

jcr

Visit site
...should the tack of a trysail be set?

I have just bought a trysail and track to be fitted shortly. The clew is 18inches below the level of the tack. Anyone got any recommendations about how high the track should go up the mast in relation to the gooseneck?

Many thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Strathglass

Visit site
The track should be from just above the deck. This allows the sail to be stored, already on the track, below the boom ready for launching.
A strop should be fitted between the tack and the deck to allow it to reach it's normal height above the deck.
The length of the track will depend on the luff length of the sail. The track must have a stop at the top incase you havn't secured the strop on the tack properly.

Iain

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
the important thing is to get it to a height where the sheet lead is correct, i.e. there is minimal twist in the sail when set.

work out where you're going to put the lead blocks to give a good lead back to the winches, the blocks shouldn't be too far from the attachment point or they could be dangerous if the sail flogs in heavy weather. then try out the sail in moderate waether using the mainsail track or a lacing round the mast plus a piece of line for the tack. lash the boom down as you would in a storm and make sure nothing fouls it, also ensure the sheet doesn't touch the guardrails: chafe is the enemy in these conditions.

once you're satisfied, mark everything and fit your track.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jcr

Visit site
...to allow it to reach it's normal height...

That's exactly what I am asking. What is the normal height?

<hr width=100% size=1>

johnsomerhausen

Visit site
Since you say the clew of your trysail is 18" below the tack, the track should be at least the length of the luff plus 18", but as another post suggeseted, it should reach almost to the cabin top at the bottom and another 3 ft above the minimum dimesnion to give you some leeway to adjust the trysail for bvest possible efficiency
john

<hr width=100% size=1>

stephenh

Visit site
In very large seas the height of the waves can blanket the trysail and storm jb leaving you with windless sails in the trough and no steerage way. From this it is common to put a strop on the tack of both these sails to raise them well above the lowest height possible.
The actual length of track will be particular to your boat / trysail luff length.
I know a Contessa 32 that has its trysail track going to well above the crosstrees and right down to the deck.
Better to have too long a track than too short ?
Goodluck - I hope you never meet those really large seas.....
stephenh

<hr width=100% size=1>

Strathglass

Visit site
The minimum height for the for the sail on the track must be 18 inches higher than the guardrails, also it is better above the gooseneck, exactly where, will depend on how it sheets and this is different an every boat.

Read the replies you have already received and you will find a lot of practical advice, especially regarding wear.

Rig the sail initially on the mainsail track with long adjustable strops and go out for a sail in a 6/7 , you will soon find where to fit your track.

Iain

<hr width=100% size=1>