How heavy is a mast, stepping by hand - how hard can it be..

GHA

Visit site
Well that was easy, slow , controlled and drama free, with no other willing helpers around to mess things up :)

Back up in the air again for now, maybe half hour to lower double checking everything on the way down, 2 or 3 minutes back up. Not sure about recommending this to others though, unless you've a load of dyneema, lever hoist or 2 & a welder to make some brackets. Plus CAD & a laser measurer. Probably cheaper to get a crane :)

lUPhnD5.png

rogerthebodger

Visit site
This is a temporary attachment for my mast so it can be raised from the horizontal.

35953141491_d0657902aa_b.jpg

This is bolted down to the deck with the mast base attachment bolts and the oval shaped ring is clamped to the mast.

These are 2 A frames bolted to the chain plates for the forward and aft lower rigging and the upper rigging is clamped to the A frames in line with the mast pivot bearing

36086035985_e14622e7ca_b.jpg

This is one of 2 pivot points that a lifting A frame is attached to and lifted to be vertical when the mast is horizontal.

The forestay is attached to the top of this A frame and a heavy duty line runs from the lower end of the forestay to the windlass for raising the mast.

The back stays are attached to control how high the mast can be raised so it will not go too far forward.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I don't know why you need dyneema, some braid on braid will easily do the job. I've got some old 12mm which I use to pull my boats up a slight slope - some serious loads when jerked by my Audi. For a vertical lift it needs to be carefully checked for knicks and scrapes though.
The earlier video of a split mast foot fitting shows the importance of preventing side sway. Alloy is easily split and replacements hard to find.
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...434#EqG1FjjviZopbxuj.99QUOTE=GHA;6625854]Well that was easy, slow , controlled and drama free, with no other willing helpers around to mess things up :)

Back up in the air again for now, maybe half hour to lower double checking everything on the way down, 2 or 3 minutes back up. Not sure about recommending this to others though, unless you've a load of dyneema, lever hoist or 2 & a welder to make some brackets. Plus CAD & a laser measurer. Probably cheaper to get a crane :)

lUPhnD5.png
[/QUOTE]

GHA

Visit site
This is a temporary attachment for my mast so it can be raised from the horizontal.

Similar setup onboard but more compact, and not as tidy :)

My hinge is right next to the mast foot so the upper stays are closer to the pivot point though not quite close enough - the mainsheet 4 way block and fall is attached to one upper so it can be adjusted to keep lateral control of the mast head on the way up/down. Also rigged a lever hoist pulling the mast base astern to take care of the horizontal load pushing forward onto the hinge plate.

Nice to be self sufficient though :cool:

And no sign of the doom and gloom forecast occasionally in this thread :)

GHA

Visit site
I don't know why you need dyneema, some braid on braid will easily do the job.

Got loads and it's just lovely to rig with, easy to splice plus basically non stretch so easy to keep any node points solid. polyester should be OK for strength but nowhere near the same safety factor you'll get with spliced dyneema

Then the made up lengths get stashed in a bag so ready to rock nest time should the need arise.