How do you keep physically fit when cruising?

Romeo

Visit site
After years of sailing on a variety of open boats, I am looking forward to the opportunity to live on a bigger boat (35-40feet) for three summer seasons, exploring mostly the West Coasts of Scotland and Ireland. I am a fairly regular exercise sort of person..... swimming, cycling, rowing, running, and I do worry about being stuck inside a boat for an extended period. Never a problem when dingy cruising, as that is a fairly physical existence in itself. So what do folk do to keep themselves fit when spending a lot of time aboard? Or should I just let myself go?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I haul sails and go for long walks in the amazing places I visit. I even walk for diesel.

I have a friend I sail with who is big into yoga, on spotting him on the RYA stand at the Southampton Boat Show a few years back I asked if the new RYA Yoga Certificate was anywhere near sign off. Meeting me totally out of context he looked very, very puzzled!

veshengro

Visit site
If you have room onboard a folding bike is a real asset, especially in the areas you will be cruising. Wintering in Spain a couple of times, without exaggeration I probably did hundreds of miles on my bike, got to places inland that I would never have seen had it not been for the bike.

johnalison

Visit site
I've never found it a problem, within my limited standards. Certainly, folding bikes are good and can make shopping almost a pleasure, though I don't know how useful they are in Scotland. We never used ours much in Cornwall. Hilly areas more or less look after themselves, since there is always the urge to gain height. I generally got fitter when cruising than at home.

dunedin

Visit site
On the west of Scotland we carry walking boots and poles - also have the full set of detailed OS 1:25,000 maps on the phone (on Memory Map alongside the essential Antares Charts).
Lots of great walks possible - though now always wear long trousers and sometimes chaps, having picked up some ticks in recent years in spite of being very careful.
The other essential is quick and simple means of launching a dinghy to get ashore from anchor or mooring.
And as veshengro says, a folding bike if can fit one/them in.

capnsensible

Visit site
After years of sailing on a variety of open boats, I am looking forward to the opportunity to live on a bigger boat (35-40feet) for three summer seasons, exploring mostly the West Coasts of Scotland and Ireland. I am a fairly regular exercise sort of person..... swimming, cycling, rowing, running, and I do worry about being stuck inside a boat for an extended period. Never a problem when dingy cruising, as that is a fairly physical existence in itself. So what do folk do to keep themselves fit when spending a lot of time aboard? Or should I just let myself go?
We lived on our yacht for almost 23 years. Walking when ashore was high up on the list. Plus swimming, wetsuit sometimes required!. Tried taking bikes aboard but unless you are prepared to spend on high quality fold ups, they proved to be a real pita.
I used to do regular stretching and back muscle exercises inthe cockpit. Especially if getting a bit eyelid heavy. I still do those every day even though we are now landlubbers....mostly. you could probably look online to find a few simple exercises that fit your style. (y)

Edit to add: where we live is high on the list of pit stops for those embarking on the annual migration across to the Windies. Lots have kayaks and or paddleboards strapped around the decks.

srm

Visit site
Rigid dinghy with oars and no outboard engine is a nice way to explore anchorages. Manual windlass gives a morning work out. Sail handling, reefing, etc. takes a bit of effort.
Perhaps the unexpected exercise is the constant minor body adjustments to compensate for the movement of the boat, it can be tiring in rough conditions but is there most of the time. After living and working on a new to me boat ashore for a month I lost my balance three or four times in the first hour after launching her into sheltered water alongside a pier before getting used to the slight motion from other craft on the river.
As others have said there is plenty of exercise ashore; a folding trolley helps get fuel and heavy items back to the boat during a long walk.

Boathook

Visit site
The longest I have spent on board was 5 weeks and I seemed to lose weight even though eating and drinking well. As mentioned, constantly adjusting to keep balance uses muscles along with hauling up sails, etc. The fact that we walked everywhere and carried shopping meant that we had plenty of exercise.
If I was onboard during the winter in the UK it would possibly be a different outcome.

arc1

Visit site
West of Scotland also. Swimming, running, hill walking and cycling. Cycling as much a hobby as sailing so we take 2 full size road bikes with us over summer (31ft boat, 3 people, bikes live in forepeak with a smaller person). Can get both bikes and 3 people in a dinghy. Had some brilliant long rides in stunning locations so, to us, well worth it. Get some very strange looks when embarking/disembarking them though!

srm

Visit site
If I was onboard during the winter in the UK it would possibly be a different outcome.

When a lot younger I ran a 42 ft sloop as a skippered charter yacht, so spent much of the summer on board and at times single handed with hank on headsails and a manual windlass. During the summer the flab gave way to muscle though my weight stayed much the same. Likewise when I retired we spent six months of the year living on board and cruising. Would sometimes get comments on returning that I had lost weight, but the scales were much the same.

Beelzebub

Visit site
Taking a few kettlebells on the trip would be ideal. They're compact and you can exercise the whole body with just a few.

Neeves

Visit site
Many today don't cut their grass nor wash their cars - they pay money to go to a gym. Makes no sense to me.

You don't need to use an electric windlass, nor an electric winch. You don't need to use an outboard (already mentioned). You can do your own AF and boat detailing. You can concentrate on sail trim. If you have the correct focus you climb the nearest hill to get a better photo.

Now - what was the question.

Jonathan

johnalison

Visit site
Many today don't cut their grass nor wash their cars - they pay money to go to a gym. Makes no sense to me.

You don't need to use an electric windlass, nor an electric winch. You don't need to use an outboard (already mentioned). You can do your own AF and boat detailing. You can concentrate on sail trim. If you have the correct focus you climb the nearest hill to get a better photo.

Now - what was the question.

Jonathan
I have all but given up cutting the grass, but I do wash my car and avoid using lifts wherever possible. What I think you are saying is that exercise should be built into your daily life and not added on as an extra in a vain attempt to gain brownie points. I entirely agree, and often look aghast and with envy at the vast amounts of money earned by selling to a gullible public the idea that it needs to buy expensive gear or gym time to stay fit.

Wansworth

Visit site
Here in Spain we have Declathlon…….massive superstores with special cloths for every activity……I wonder how I managed to walk and cycle in the same clothes for all those years! …..Using the same trousers and donkey jacket

Reactions: srm