How do I turn the little boat icon round?

bigwow

Visit site
Granddaughter today asked me why the little boat, us, was going backwards on our RL70RC + I'd never noticed! How do I turn it round?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Granddaughter today asked me why the little boat, us, was going backwards on our RL70RC + I'd never noticed! How do I turn it round?

Do I understand that the little boat symbol on your chartplotter has been pointing 180 out from the actual heading? I'm sure that this must be an issue which has happened today as it would be impossible not to notice it, surely?

Richard

bigwow

Visit site
Do I understand that the little boat symbol on your chartplotter has been pointing 180 out from the actual heading? I'm sure that this must be an issue which has happened today as it would be impossible not to notice it, surely?

Richard

I presume so, the icon is moving correctly, only facing backwards. Reading through the above link it seems I need to recalibrate the auto pilot.

prv

Visit site

Until he had his eyeballs surgically overhauled this year, my dad probably wouldn't have noticed a backwards arrow on the plotter. "Granddaughter" implies that the OP may not be in the first flush of youth either... :)

Pete

Woodlouse

Visit site
Recalibrate your fluxgate compass. Then, in non tidal conditions apply the appropriate offset when compared to the COG.

A quick fix would be to just apply a 180 degree offset but it won't be that precise.

TonyS

Visit site
It happened to me years ago.
The answer is very simple and was explained to me by a Raymarine Technical guy in 2008. The compass needs to be calibrated from the chart plotter. You do this from the second page of the system menu on the keys at the bottom of the plotter. Find the compass and adjust until the icon is pointing in the right direction.
It happened to me in the Alderney race on autopilot and the boat turned abruptly through 210 degrees - scary! I posted it on here and there was a big discussion on causes, magnetic anomolies etc. Unfortunately I can no longer find the post.
Best of luck.