How do I change the impeller (VolvoPenta)?

haydude

Visit site
I was wondering if you may help me because I never replaced an impeller.

I tried to change the impeller of my Volvo Penta D2 55. On paper it looked like a simple job, but I couldn't get through the second step, which was to extract the old impeller.

As I understand there are not nuts or screws to undo. I just have to pull it out.
I tried with one plyer first, than two plyers (one each side) and still nothing. It did not want to come out, so before I destroyed the rubber with my plyers I just put everything back and tried the engine. Fortunately it pumps out still strongly.

Do I need any special tool to extract the impeller? Am I doing something wrong?

sailorman

Visit site

I tried to change the impeller of my Volvo Penta D2 55. On paper it looked like a simple job, but I couldn't get through the second step, which was to extract the old impeller.

As I understand there are not nuts or screws to undo. I just have to pull it out.
I tried with one plyer first, than two plyers (one each side) and still nothing. It did not want to come out, so before I destroyed the rubber with my plyers I just put everything back and tried the engine. Fortunately it pumps out still strongly.

2 x screwdrivers against the pump body & pry from the back of the impeller

SimbaDog

Visit site
Yes, I did one last week. 2 screwdrivers & a gentle fiddle about.
There is a slot in the shaft & the cross piece in the impeller slides into it, they can sometimes take a bit of fiddling to come free.
Don't forget to grease the new impeller!
:)

haydude

Visit site
However I thought that there may be a chance that it is stuck to the shaft, which happens with metal on metal permanently in salt water. In fact I suspect that the impeller has never been replaced since the engine was new (6 years, 750 hours and still going strong). The case and screws still had the original unmarked paint.

Should I have to remove and replace the shaft, is this a job I could do or will I need a professional? Is there an on-line guide?

scottie

Visit site
Check if the impeller has a short thread which allows a jacking screw to push the impeller off
A tool is available from your Volvo dealer for a very small sum

Make sure the new impeller has the thread .

haydude

Visit site
I am afraid I haven't seen a thread. The new impeller too (Volvo Penta original part) does not have a thread. I will ask if they make a version with thread for a jacking screw.

Are there any special tools I could buy to prime the impeller out easily? Something that pushes on the centre shaft and pulls from behind, without stressing case and shaft by just priming against the case.

SimbaDog

Visit site
speedseal supply a plastic tool with their kits, no idea how good it is though?
images

AIDY

www.ybw.com
when you get the old one out. don't ram the new one in.

check the shaft and hole diameters first....

from recent experience the tolerances on the new VP impellers are rubbish.... i initially rammed the new one on then couldn't get it off as it was an interference fit.... eventually got it off then reamed it out.

if you have to change it at sea it needs to come off easily but not fall off.

jordanbasset

Visit site

I have the D255 engine, the impeller should just come out. 'Should' being the operative word, took a lot of prising and jigging to get mine out. Used a little grease to get the new one in. Have also bought the speed seal kit, atleast that makes getting at the impeller a lot easier, especially in a rough sea.

prv

Visit site
As others said, it should just pull out but may become stiff. If so, be careful levering it out not to damage the pump body where the cover plate sits - screwdriver scars here can cause a leak.

Pete

Plevier

Visit site
Check if the impeller has a short thread which allows a jacking screw to push the impeller off
A tool is available from your Volvo dealer for a very small sum

Make sure the new impeller has the thread .

Not often you see "Volvo dealer" and "very small sum" together :confused:

davidfox

Visit site

I have a D2 55 and am a duffer but it is as straight forward as they say, use a bit more grunt.

Quandary

Visit site
Lubricating the new one with washing up liquid before installing helps ease it into place. Creates a few bubbles at the exhaust, but soon disperses.

Or if you don't want to do that, you could use a little of the glycerine that comes with the replacement impeller. I assume you will replace it if it is six years old?

haydude

Visit site
Thank you for all your suggestions. I ordered a Jabsco impeller removal tool. Now I hope that the old impeller has not "soldered" itself to the shaft through salt water oxydation or electrolysis.