How do bank accounts and bills work if I live on a sailboat?

ryanroberts

Visit site
Strictly speaking you do not need proof of address to register with a GP. Convincing them of that is a different matter...

This is a little easier than it used to be, there is a lot of guidance now about not excluding refugees etc.

grumpygit

Visit site
Do you have a Financial Adviser (IFA). It may be possible to use there office address. Banks do not like people without a sound physical address especially if you need a credit card. BTW, using a friends address for post has no legal commitment to themselves, i.e. Council Tax etc

dunedin

Visit site
Do you have a Financial Adviser (IFA). It may be possible to use there office address. Banks do not like people without a sound physical address especially if you need a credit card. BTW, using a friends address for post has no legal commitment to themselves, i.e. Council Tax etc
But if somebody runs up a debt, it is associated with that address on the credit bureau, which can be an issue

grumpygit

Visit site
True, but who would do that to a friend and a IFA usually has some control over their clients funds anyway. To reverse your concern, the possible address may already be risk marked but I believe this is not difficult to overcome.
I thought the important point to the thread was to find a way of the possibility of a useable address that would suffice?

blampied

Visit site
Buy the cheapest smallest property with a post code anywhere in the country.
A run down flat, garage, garden shed etc. (less than £10k)
disconnect all utilities, (electric, gas, water etc) so there is no ongoing costs.
As well as a letter box, Fit a very large cat flap or similar to be used as a parcel drop box.
Keep the property empty so nothing in it to steal, other than the post or occasional parcel In the drop box.
Visit it every two or three months to check for mail.
Possible create an income stream by selling on shares in it to other full time live aboards who want an address.

Last edited:

colind3782

Visit site
Buy the cheapest smallest property with a post code anywhere in the country.
A run down flat, garage, garden shed etc. (less than £10k)
disconnect all utilities, (electric, gas, water etc) so there is no ongoing costs.
As well as a letter box, Fit a very large cat flap or similar to be used as a parcel drop box.
Keep the property empty so nothing in it to steal, other than the post or occasional parcel In the drop box.
Visit it every two or three months to check for mail.
Possible create an income stream by selling on shares in it to other full time live aboards who want an address.
Council tax?

grumpygit

Visit site
Or a valet? He could bring your post along with the day’s attire.

Rather a childish take from a supposable grown up. The thread is asking for a way of being able to become a liveaboard so negative and silly comments don't help.
Without letting myself in for any scrutiny I'm just trying to pass on a way that I know works.

dunedin

Visit site
Rather a childish take from a supposable grown up. The thread is asking for a way of being able to become a liveaboard so negative and silly comments don't help.
Without letting myself in for any scrutiny I'm just trying to pass on a way that I know works.
But the answer was given in post #3

Everything since is just compulsory thread drift and entertainment - it is a forum after all

laika

Visit site
The thread is asking for a way of being able to become a liveaboard so negative and silly comments don't help.

“Silly”? Are you suggesting in an amusingly ironic fashion that people without an address looking to live aboard on a sub-£2k boat full time in the uk might not form a demographic which tends to retain a valet?

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Contract SIM is not really necessary. I worked remotely for a year with PAYGO, most of the time on Giffgaff unlimited for £35 that we used more than 500G a month.

Let me slightly amend that for you...
Contract SIM is not at all necessary...

Now Mobile, £25 per month PAYG for 4G unlimited data on EE network. I watch endless cat videos on mine. Address needed to get the SIM then that's it.

? Best SIM Only Deals - Pay As You Go SIM | Now Mobile

srm

Visit site
Hi NingNong247, a few months passed.
Did you try boatmail.co.uk ? Did you manage to get an address ?
I'm in the same your situation and I'm curious to know if you have found a solution.
I have been using Boatmail since 2014. It has changed owners in that time. Always friendly and helpful people though with an efficient system. We all have the same street address.
If you have any queries before signing up send Joanna an email using the address on their website.

Reactions: mbb

Star-Lord

Visit site
It's not a case of not wanting to hear it, it's a case of there be literally no one in this country that I can ask that of. I have 3 friends in the UK, none of them good enough to put that on/in situations where they can do that. Everybody else I know is abroad.

Obviously I'm not going to befriend someone surreptitiously with the intent of eventually getting them to let me do this. That seems like inveiglement to me.
There are plenty of virtual residential services available. You pay a yearly fee and you will be set. I do this and so do many others (including those in HM Forces stationed abroad and people detained by HM :))