hot water

john

Visit site
the water produced from the calorfier on my boat is always scalding hot - is this normal? If not, what could the cause be? The calorifier is heated from a raw water cooled diesel engine.
Thanks

G

Most marine diesels operate at the same temp as any other land based engine (80c) therefore your hot water tank will eventually come up to that temp as well. I must admit 69c seems to be very low to me and I wonder if the engine is making its correct working temp? However any temp much above 55c will feel like its scalding.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Running temperature

Raw water cooled engines typically run at lower temperatures than enclosed systems to avoid salt deposition in cooling passages. Upper 60s thermostats are typical of raw water Bukh, Yanmar and Kubota that I have owned.

Scalding hot is good going for any raw water cooled calorifier - most owners have the opposite complaint. Might be worth checking with a thermometer to check exactly what you are achieving. If more than about 60C have a look at the engine temperature and the possibility that you have some blocked coolant passages.