horshoe, danbuoy, throwing line ... etc?

brownsox

Visit site
As the person who started this thread I'm extremely grateful for the replies. I'd sort of expected a few along the lines of "you should know all this" but they were all really useful.
The RORC/ISAF leaflet actually says don't throw danbuoy (at first) it takes too much time which was what I thought. I've now ordered an Ocsar lifesling, a drogue for the horseshoe (we won't tie the horseshoe on although clearly some do), and crotch straps for lifejackets (provoked by the Ouzo report). We only wear them when it's rough or dawn/dusk/and sometimes dinghy. We've got jackstays already. We are very cautious about weather forecasts so don't expect to use any of this - it's just mitigating risk as Captain says - when out sailing we certainly don't worry about it, it's at home planning that I want to get the best balance. Home made danbuoy sounds a good idea - will think about how to do that too. We can't do a Seacheck now as the boat is in France. We've got a good boarding ladder and we'll think more about the 6:1 tackle that cpedw suggests - we could also lift the outboard out of the well with it - it's just that you accumulate so much clutter in the locker. I'll practice olewill's throwing technique - a good reminder. Roll on next week - back to the boat for a month!
Thanks guys.

fireball

Visit site
We've adjusted the mainsheet fittings so we can use the purchase from that to lift a MOB from the water if required - saves having the expense, storage and tangling from an additional system - also being on the boom we can use that as a spreader arm so you're not dragging the MOB over the side so much.

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
and we'll think more about the 6:1 tackle

[/ QUOTE ]

That arrangement can be made to work - i.e. lift a casualty out of the water - but there are a few 'caveats' to consider. One of my mates has had this arrangement fitted for several years, so his wife could get him back ( actually, the tw*t stays in he cockpit - it's others who go forward to do the work! ) should he fall in. We - three of us - tried this system while at anchor in a quiet place, with 'the big yin' lying down flat in the Avon alongside.

First, she couldn't reach down with the lower-snaplink end of the purchase far enough to snap it into his LSJ D-ring.

Second, she couldn't hold onto the painter of the Avon - simulating the lifesling rope - and find/extract/disentangle/utilise the 6-part purchase at the same time. As she was pulling up on the lifesling rope to keep ( simulate ) the casualty's head above water level, she felt she could not leave that to go disentangling the purchase.

Third, she had to hoist the casualty rather higher than the wire guardrails to get him inboard. The boat leaned considerably towards the casualty, and she needed another hand or two to hold onto and work the purchase, while pulling himself inboard. She nearly went overboard herself during this, and only 'another pair of hands' there at the time prevented that. She felt she needed to know rather more about working with tackles, knots and ropes - and making things off securely - to be confident of success.

She also tried the parbuckle idea, using some netting and a couple of pieces of half-inch plastic water pipe to keep the shape, and felt that had a lot more promise. She could pull 'himself' into the netting alongside like a fish on a line, then get him partially/largely out of the water without a purchase or a winch-led halyard. She was confident that, with a bit of thought and 'tweaking' for their boat, they could make up a netting parbuckle device that would work for them.

She also said that they'd 'maybe recruit a younger, fitter crew member to do the physical stuff', but then she grinned 'and if himself goes over after all my nagging about harnesses and jackstays, maybe I'll just leave him there and continue with the young cute-bum instead.....'

It seems that confidence in the individually-chosen systems is quite important to success. Is there not a case for a published PBO multiple test of various techniques and kit, using forum members and their gear?

Or are we all just theorists.....?

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sailfree

Visit site
I note you have a sigma 362 so I assume you have an electric windlass.

We sail often just as a couple. What I have worked out is that if unconcious in water you are likely to die but if SWMBO gets back to me quickly and throws me a line I would tie it round my waist and through life jacket D ring. SWMBO ties it on to cleat. SWMBO checks whether life insurance fully paid up and if no takes main halyard and ties it to rope securing me. Takes main halyard out of clutch and deck tidies and takes it forward from the block at bottom of mast to the windlass. Gets me midships ,electric windlass should have engine running in neutral and uses windlass to hoist me up.

Probably uncomfortable but once I can grap toe rail I may be able to help. Hyperthermia is the killer and it is surprising how quickly actual casualties have been unable to help themselves even if concious.

Our standard instructions are hit the MOB button on the chartplotter and DSC button on the VHF. Very brief Mayday message on Ch 16 stating 1 person overboard 1 person left on board will be fully occupied trying to recover person overboard. With the DSC button pressed they can identify where you are and let the CG work out what to do without distracting person with more VHF talk.

I am assuming that it can't be flat calm if you went overboard so rear boarding platform is not possible. Fall back position if you cant lift the person back on board is launch liferaft and use rope to manoeuvre person next to it but if person cant get himself into liferaft I don't think there is any benefit in other person also going into the water.

Its not perfect its the best plan I can think of.

Everyone has an opinion of kit you should have and the priority order for purchase. We have autoinflate lifejackets with crotch straps/sprayhood and a small stobe light. In pockets we both carry a leatherman, small torch & pack of miniflares. After Ouzo watchkeeper has a submersible hanheld VHF in pocket. When reefed down we use lifelines. We have an EPIRB but as its getting near 5 yrs old I intend to replaceit with 2 personal EPIRBS that someone highlighted on here about £290 made in Australia and currently awaiting type approval. Its only in this area that I will be happy if I say that all the purchases have been a complete waste of money!!