Hopefully getting back into boating but need some radar advice

studgies

www.marvinmarine.co.uk
We are currently in the process of negotiating the purchase of a new to us boat, currently working on 2, one a Sealine t46 and the other a t47. Both have v out of date nav screens which we will replace with some g series kit we have. My question is, trying to keep costs down for this season at least, will the g series work with an older analogue ray marine ramarine scanner or do I need to fork out on a replacement digital one straight away?

Momac

Visit site
I think that is probably the case as Raymarine seem particularly good at introducing new equipment that is not compatible with older equipment.

mcanderson

Visit site
The answer is in here - Adding radar features to an Axiom or a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD

A short cut and pasted section from that post

Radar scanners featuring analog video interfaces which are compatible with C/E-Series Classic MFDs (ex. RD218, RD424 and –S versions of the 2D, 4D, 5S, 7S, 9S, and 11S radomes and open array pedestals) and hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Displays (ex. RD218, RD424, 2D, 4D, 5S, 7S, 9S, and 11S radomes and open array pedestals), as well as radome and open array pedestals introduced prior to these are not compatible with the Axiom or a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs. Analog radar scanners are most easily identified by their white radar cables. However, these radar scanners are highly regarded in the recreational marine electronics industry and have value for those seeking to replace or add radar to a system featuring a hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Radar Display, C-Series Classic MFD, or E-Series Classic MFD. As such, it is generally recommended the currently installed radar be sold privately (ex. ebay, Craigs List, etc.) where you may well find that it may be sold for a fair portion of their original retail price due to the fact that these radar scanners are no longer manufactured.

kashurst

Visit site
I would upgrade the navigation system, but is it worth updating the Radar assuming it is working?
In twenty years of boating I have only used radar in anger once. Both nice boats by the way, good luck.

studgies

www.marvinmarine.co.uk
I would upgrade the navigation system, but is it worth updating the Radar assuming it is working?
In twenty years of boating I have only used radar in anger once. Both nice boats by the way, good luck.
We plan to bring the boat back to the Uk from the med by sea potentially so want it for that. We plan to cruise a lot and while 95% of the time radar is not needed, I think it is essential for the 5%. Given how we plan to use it. I’m not talking going out in the rough but we will use it 12 months of the year.

Dino

Visit site
The newer Raymarine Quantum radars are supposed to be very good and some models are very simple to install as they just need a power supply and the radar data is sent to the MFD by WiFi. Hudson marine had some decent deals on Quantum’s

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Last year I upgraded my 2002 vintage Raymarine to the Quantum display and Radar. My old radar was analogue so had to go (still fetch a few hundred on eBay) but I was delighted that my depth transducer and other speed and depth instruments still worked. I needed the Raymarine adaptor for about £100

ps Don’t bother with the WiFi Quantum radar go cable.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Brill, thanks all. Just need to decide which boat now
My son bought a T46 just last month. I suspect he looked at the advert for one of the boats you’re considering but didn’t take it any further due to the distance involved. He’s delighted with his T46, as I’m sure you’ll be, whichever you choose. Good luck with the whole process.

studgies

www.marvinmarine.co.uk
My son bought a T46 just last month. I suspect he looked at the advert for one of the boats you’re considering but didn’t take it any further due to the distance involved. He’s delighted with his T46, as I’m sure you’ll be, whichever you choose. Good luck with the whole process.
Thanks, offer is in so fingers crossed ?