Hook points of Posillipo at the deck

hkikis

Visit site
Hello friends

I am interesting to buy a Posillipo 65!
I am very curious how can I put ropes in this type hook!!
I have to put the rope throught the fender hole first and then again back from there.... Also the hook is at the deck!! I must lay down at knees evey time i need to tighten the ropes ?
I feel that all this will be very difficult and very tired! How can my girlfriend do that haha

Is there any easier way that I cannot understand?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210316-235437_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210316-235437_Chrome.jpg
    695.8 KB · Views: 84

Portofino

Visit site
Typical big boat , proper set up .The bollard to firmly fixed to the stronger deck with a hidden backing plate as opposed to the top of the potential flexing gunwhale .
That hole is not for fenders it’s for the stern lines .
The crew ( a person your wife or yourself) have to prep the boat for berthing while hoovering in the harbour entrance or fairway .
Its no hassle getting fenders / lines out of lockers and prepping up .
With unfamiliar visiting berths just take your time , eye ball the spot so the “ crew “ can get the fender height(s) and line lengths,
positioning ready before the final backing in .

In this case in your pic , the “ crew “ have to go on the bathing platform to thread the main line ( assuming they have been put away while motoring ) .There should be electric winches with foot switches for final tweaking.

Any bending down ....crickey it’s supposed to be gentle exercise , like climbing stairs to the FB or going down a swim platform ladder etc .
How old are you and GF if you don’t mind me asking ?

Have you ever been skiing or snow boarding .....for bending down like clipping your boots up or fixing bindings on a board ?
Burning calories is beneficial part and parcel of the hobby inc sailing .

hkikis

Visit site
Portofino thank you for your reply.
So the beneficial part is that it is like exercise haha
I am only 35 so I don't have problem of course.
But for example my father will have big problem to lay down to tight the lines.

But the problem isn't only that I need to bend over on my knees...
It is for sure a lot more slow all this...
Hole for the lines.... hook at the deck... A lot more slower than the Squadron type of hook.

Maybe i need also a different way for mooring.

With Squadron I through away to the dock a line and someone from the dock send it back to me to hook it.
With this way I have full control and when I want to leave I just unhook the line from the boat and I pull it up. I don't need to unhook something from the dock.

I think that with Posilipo I need just to send the line to the dock and hook it there and then adjust how much tight I want it from the boat.
But when I want to leave I need to go to the dock to unhook the lines.... Not so comfortable way.

If I will try to do with Posillipo what I am doing with squadron it will be a nightmare..

Hurricane

Visit site
I'm sorry
I don't see the problem.
Certainly not worth changing your view about the boat.
Maybe I don't understand your photo.

When you say "hooks" I think you are referring to the "cleats" where we tie the boat's lines.
The holes are often referred to as "fairleads"

Here is a photo of an Elegance next to our Princess 67

IMG_3357.resized.JPG

Yes, our "fairleads" are open at the top so that we can slot the line in without threading it through.
But in the Posillipo, the mooring lines would enter the boat nicely at deck level - right next to the docking winch.
In the case of our Princess and (I think) the Squadron, the docking winches are built into a platform above the deck.

With Squadron I through away to the dock a line and someone from the dock send it back to me to hook it.
With this way I have full control and when I want to leave I just unhook the line from the boat and I pull it up. I don't need to unhook something from the dock.
I'm not sure that is the perfect solution when leaving the boat.
We call this method "rigging a slip" and I would do just that before leaving a berth.
But for longer periods, I think that a dedicated line attached to the dock would be better.
You also wouldn't wear the middle of your ropes so much.

Anyway, back to the point
Don't rule out this Posillipo - just because you have to thread the mooring lines through the fairlead rather than slot them in.
To make it easier, you could always have a lightweight piece of rope attached to the end of your mooring lines which you thread through first but I don't think that is necessary.

BTW - have you looked at Princess 67s?

Portofino

Visit site
Portofino thank you for your reply.
So the beneficial part is that it is like exercise haha
I am only 35 so I don't have problem of course.
But for example my father will have big problem to lay down to tight the lines.

But the problem isn't only that I need to bend over on my knees...
It is for sure a lot more slow all this...
Hole for the lines.... hook at the deck... A lot more slower than the Squadron type of hook.

Maybe i need also a different way for mooring.

I think that with Posilipo I need just to send the line to the dock and hook it there and then adjust how much tight I want it from the boat.
But when I want to leave I need to go to the dock to unhook the lines.... Not so comfortable way.

If I will try to do with Posillipo what I am doing with squadron it will be a nightmare..
But just pre set the lengths as I said waaaaaay before backing in , you can do all this “bending down ” stuff .

Your not so agile farther can just stand on the bathing platform ( when the boats 1/2 way in its berth ) as you go very slow in reverse, so he can throw the lines on the dock to a waiting person or help full passer by or lasso the bollard .

Thats a very nice boat btw the best so far you have come up with the Posillipo it’s gets the ?from me .

Mark the line with a bit of tape so you know the pre judged lengths at the cleat / bollards on the boat .

Alternatively if the berth is yours and you are only going out for a day trip chuck the lines ashore .On returning your dad only has to retrieve via hooking them , pass the end through and drop a pre prepared loop over the boat bollards / cleats , no kneeling down needed .
Once the bow line(s) are attached you “ bend down” and finalise it all , even if means lifting off the pre prepaid hoops .

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
That arrangement is perfectly fine, and is what you will find in most good boats, at that size and up.
BTW, Rizzardi (which was the actual builder of that Technema) spared no expense, fitting two large cleats and one winch on each side.
So, you can prepare the line well in advance, with the onboard end already passed through the fairlead and secured to one of the cleats.
After passing the other end to the dock hand, you can just recover as much line as necessary and secure it to the other cleat - job done.
Or tighten it with the winch, if necessary.

Apropos, the practice of asking the dock hand to throw back the line onboard is WRONG, because you must use a longer line and you add one step that can go wrong. And if it can, sooner or later it will.
If you want to rig a slip to be used when leaving, as Hurricane said, you can do it later, with a much smaller (hence lighter) line, and on upwind side only.

If there's one thing you can complain about in that Technema arrangement, though this is true also of many other boats, is that it's unsuitable for additional spring lines, which sometimes can be useful.
If you look at the full pic below of the boat in your OP, you can easily see that on port side a spring line should pass above the passerelle, which would be a dangerous trap. Don't consider the power cable: that goes under the passerelle because is slack, but the crossed line would be useless unless tightened.
And I would never rely on the small retractable cleats (probably retrofitted) along the border of the swim platform, either.
I half recall to have seen another Technema with additional cleats at the bottom borders of the transom, which is probably the best way to skin this cat.

Technema-65-2008-23-1599x1199.jpeg

Last edited:

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Great boat the Technema 65, designed by Zuccon who actually started with the then in 1978, before going with Ferretti in 1990.
Good luck with the purchase. That current set up is how all big boats of twenty meters or up are set up. Give or take some meters here and there.

hkikis

Visit site
When you say "hooks" I think you are referring to the "cleats" where we tie the boat's lines.
The holes are often referred to as "fairleads"
Yes exactly... I didn't know how to translate them but from google fotos we are talking about the cleats and fairlead haha

'm not sure that is the perfect solution when leaving the boat.
We call this method "rigging a slip" and I would do just that before leaving a berth.
But for longer periods, I think that a dedicated line attached to the dock would be better.
You also wouldn't wear the middle of your ropes so much.
Yes this is true. This method is not for longer periods. But perfect will you are doing holidays.
And yes I left for long periods like this and one rope cut off :oops::oops:

Don't rule out this Posillipo - just because you have to thread the mooring lines through the fairlead rather than slot them in.
To make it easier, you could always have a lightweight piece of rope attached to the end of your mooring lines which you thread through first but I don't think that is necessary.
Yes I don't rule out but I think that will be more difficult. For sure rigging a slip method isn't possible.
Except if I will do it with the cleat of the platform. But maybe isn't strong enough.

The other method with 1 line will be easy if I have to do with mooring point like this..
https://thenavalarch.com/wp-content/uploads/Header-Mooring-MEG4-Part-2-TheNavalArch.jpg
I will have the rope like this and it will be easy for the man at the dock to just put it in the point and then I have to tight only.
But in Greece we have a lot ring points.... When there are rings the man at the dock must do tie knot..

Anyway as more as I am thinking that I can handle that but it in any case it is more difficult than high cleat with slots than fairleads.

Thats a very nice boat btw the best so far you have come up with the Posillipo it’s gets the ?from me .
Yes I know that Posillipo is good haha.
It is 3cabin only but it is an impressive boat.

My options right now are
Posillipo 65 2005 1400hr
Dominator 68S 2008 1300hr Incredible boat... Modern.. Minimal... Fantastic design... Master bedroom is a SUITE!!!
Ferretti 68 2000 3100 hr with overhaul before 250hr

Ferretti 68 has 4 crew beds in 2 different rooms. 4 cabin layout. This is the boat with largest spaces. Cannnot compare with the others.
Of course the best for charter use.
The other 2 are 3cabin with only 2 crew beds. 3 cabin layout
Of course more fresh boats with less hours less use but also a little more expensive.
For personal use are the best choices!!
Both are so height boats... Ferretti is very wide.. But Posillipo and Dominator are height and looks more sexy haha

And I would never rely on the small retractable cleats (probably retrofitted) along the border of the swim platform, either.
So it is wrong what I wrote above haha!
But if the cleat at platform was strong enough like the Squadron has from the factory the tight is very stable because it catch the boat from 2 points per side.