Honfleur and Lyon

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Just spotted this report - some big cruise liners are now docking at Honfleur (that would be outside on the river, not inside the lock, surely?) and also going up to Rouen.
Thinking of how Grehan rocked and rolled when being passed by smaller ships when we did the Seine passage carrying our mast on deck some years ago, it makes it even more critical nowadays to travel upstream or downstream, mast-up and to unstep at Rouen.
http://www.seatrade-insider.com/new...record-number-of-calls-in-longest-season.html
b1070b370251472c24bb29483b0d418f_M.jpg

Arrgggh, mean Rouen, not Lyon! :)

Last edited:

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
That's a shame, Honfleur has changed quite a bit since I first went there in 73, no pontoons and mostly fishing boats with maybe 2 or 3 yachts even during the festival of the sea. We used to sail over and visit the same fishing family every Summer.

VicMallows

Visit site
The fact that those ships can get up to Rouen makes you realise just how top-heavy they are.

When we went up the Seine in 1989 the only real de-masting option was at Le Havre. It's the VERY rolly trip across the estuary that sticks in my mind! The actual trip up the river was no problem at all.....and there were even free overnight buoys at Caudebec back then which conveniently broke the passage. (Why someone doesn't exploit a facility there is beyond me).

Sybarite

Visit site
That's a shame, Honfleur has changed quite a bit since I first went there in 73, no pontoons and mostly fishing boats with maybe 2 or 3 yachts even during the festival of the sea. We used to sail over and visit the same fishing family every Summer.

Apparently it was not the same Honfleur that I visited this weekend.

I think there was one fishing boat inside the drawbridge. However one must not forget that there are many separate harbours at Honfleur apart from the scenic one that most people refer to.

In addition there were two river cruise ships there. Each is 110m long and they cruise up and down the Seine between Honfleur and Paris.