Honest opinions/ experience with Delta anchors?

dt4134

Visit site
I've just ordered a 16kg Delta anchor (33ft Westerly Storm). Currently have 50m x 8mm chain + 50m rode Can anyone offer any opinions from ACTUAL experience on this type?

I've a 25Kg Delta on a 43' boat. I've twice had to use it urgently after gear failure to avoid ending up on a breakwater/rocks. It worked.

Only had difficulty setting it once on what I think was a stony bottom. Managed to get it to set well enough to last the night, but I reckon it wouldn't have held above about F5-6.

From examining the scratches afterwards I reckon it set upright, but just ploughed through the stones whenever I applied a lot of astern to dig it in. The last time I decided a little under half revs would be good enough for that night and made do.

duncan

Visit site
I would echo dt4134's observation

the only 'downside' to the delta I have experienced is that it will work it's way through shingle banks (I use it fishing such areas) where my Sword (Oceane), in the same way as I would expect both the spade and rocna as well from design) will go deeper and hold better.

however, on balance I have chosen to use the Delta and have laft the bruce and sword in the shore locker for the last few years.

The Sword holds the best but I have to take care to set it, especially in light conditions - it's fine set and loaded. The Delta is a great all rounder but without the ultimate holding of a rocna or spade.

SailBobSquarePants

Visit site
Have the same one...

I have a 16kg Delta on the bow roller of my Nicholson 32 (which at 7+ tons may be as heavy as your Westerly). I have used it in F6s exposed off Bembridge with my all chain rode, and it has held well. As with any anchor, you have to set it properly in reverse, but it does seem good at penetrating.

Perhaps more to the point, her previous owner also had a larger CQR and a Danforth onboard, and he always used the Delta as his main. He seemed a very capable sailor and had owned her for several years more than I have and taken her further afield...

craigsmith

www.petersmith.net.nz
I've just ordered a 16kg Delta anchor (33ft Westerly Storm). Currently have 50m x 8mm chain + 50m rode Can anyone offer any opinions from ACTUAL experience on this type?
We have a very varied and far ranging experience with the Delta. Personally I have more experience with it than the Rocna, although Peter has exceeded that milestone a while ago. If you're willing to accept the unavoidable bias, take a look at Peter's little essay on the topic which is on the Rocna Knowledge Base page for the Delta (down the bottom).

SimbaDog

Visit site
My 16kg Delta seems to work well, not tried it in shingle though but sets first time in most situations :) Have sat on it & watched other boats dragging past on more then one occasion :cool:

Quandary

Visit site
I have a Delta which I used for two years without a problem though it was always in reasonable shelter unless the wind was below 15 kts. It set very quickly and well in Canna for instance, I have had trouble there in the past with a CQR and had to resort to using a lighter Bruce.
For a second (temporarily promoted to first) anchor, last year I bought a Manson Supreme of the same weight. I developed great confidence in it too, mainly because of the speed with which it set and pulled the boat to a stop, until this year at WHYW in Tobermory, when it was difficult to set and dragged twice in quite light wind. Never had any problem with the Delta there so the Delta may be promoted back to bower. With an awkward pulpit and crowded foredeck the Delta is much easier to manipulate and stow in the anchor locker, an important issue with roll bar anchors if like, me you dont want to keep it permanently over the bow.
However the bottom in the inshore anchoring space by the waterfall at T'mory slopes very steeply, there was no room for a lot of scope, and we had a lot of kelp coming up (despite the popularity of the anchorage) and the boats anchored around us were dragging too, so this one failure may not be a fair basis on which to make a comparison. On the West coast I think that anything that will set and bury will hold, once either of them are in you are safe, in the clear water over the sand in the Bull Hole the Manson was completely below the surface along with about a metre of chain. I have regularly used CQR and Bruce anchors here in the past and I prefer the Delta to either of these, my preference against the Manson still needs more testing.

LORDNELSON

Visit site
Delta anchor

My last boat was a Southerly 115 (37 feet), the 16 Kg Delta was very reliable, only had one problem when I anchored near St. Peter Port in a bed of kelp and we were affected by a severe squall in the middle of the night and dragged. My present boat (28ft Westerly) - we use a 10kg Delta - has never dragged (two years experience). we use 45 metres of 8 mm chain.

Dockhead

Visit site
I have used CQR's, Bruces, Bruce copies, Fortresses, and a Spade over many years of cruising. I had consistently poor experiences with the CQR's and Bruces; the Spade was brilliant.

When we bought our new boat last year, it had a 25kg Delta as the main bower. I used it with good results in a number of spots, but then had a great deal of trouble trying to get it to set in Lulworth Cove and then in Worbarrow Bay. "That's it"; I thought, last straw, and ordered a much bigger Rocna (I had been planning to do that anyway).

Guess what -- in the same spot, the mammoth (55kg) Rocna also has difficulty setting. It's a rocky bottom, as it turns out, where no anchor sets well.

What does that tell you? Well, I dunno. I guess it means that the Delta doesn't suck as much as I thought.

Based on what I have read, I suppose it's one of the better if not the best of the last generation anchors. A size bigger Delta will probably work better than a size smaller Spade/Manson/Rocna, so the differences are definitely relative.

Quandary

Visit site
When we bought our new boat last year, it had a 25kg Delta as the main bower. I used it with good results in a number of spots, but then had a great deal of trouble trying to get it to set in Lulworth Cove and then in Worbarrow Bay. "That's it"; I thought, last straw, and ordered a much bigger Rocna (I had been planning to do that anyway).

Guess what -- in the same spot, the mammoth (55kg) Rocna also has difficulty setting. It's a rocky bottom, as it turns out, where no anchor sets well.

Don't want to prolong the thread unneccessarily as Puddock seems happy with his answers but I am intrigued by the substitution of a 55kg. Rocna for a 25kg. Delta.
Where were you planning to go?

flaming

Visit site
Don't want to prolong the thread unneccessarily as Puddock seems happy with his answers but I am intrigued by the substitution of a 55kg. Rocna for a 25kg. Delta.
Where were you planning to go?

Well, nowhere once he drops the hook I guess!

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
We swapped the CQR we inherited with our Storm for a 16kg Delta and found it much easier to set. We tried the CQR for a season, but it performed only moderately and did not give us a great deal of confidence. As we were setting off on a four month trip down to the Med and staying down there for a couple of years, we thought it was time to review our ground tackle arrangements. We opted for the Delta with a Fortress as back up and kedge option. We also packed the CQR ( thanks to the Storm's huge aft locker) but we never needed it. The Delta performed very well and in combination with the Fortress , held us secure in some really stiff blows.

If I had to make the choice again, I might look at some of the Bugel type and Uncle Craig's Rocna, but the Delta has been good for us.

Davy_S

Visit site
It amuses me to see the various anchoring threads, especialy the ones promoting their own anchors, but to be fair, we do not see many rocnas out here, simply because they are grossly expensive. I love to snorkel when its warm so I get plenty of opertunities to see various anchors on the seabed. It never fails to amaze me just how many peeps think they are anchored, when in fact they are NOT. The amount of copy Bruces (claws) that are laid on their back is unbeleivable, they are being held by weight of chain alone! Regarding the Delta, I think if correctly dug in, it is one of the better anchors, I still own a small CQR, and have no problem in digging it in. One of the best anchors I have seen (could be that the owner knows what he is doing) is the spade, very impressed! All I know is that my Delta sets far better than my CQR, the Rocna looks impressive, I firmly believe that peeps use and rely on chain only, when chain and warp would be better and more forgiving, especialy in the non tidal applications of the med.

Maine Sail

Visit site
I have experience with many anchors and own many anchors. Here's my thoughts based on New England & Canadian Maritimes cruising.

My Delta set and held better than my CQR's and worked slightly better than my Supermax (newer generation anchor). Did not set as well as my genuine Bruce but seemed to handle higher winds once set. It was bested all around by the steel Spade but beat the aluminum version in setting, though not holding. It did not perform anywhere near as well as my Manson Supreme or Rocna. I am currently using a Rocna and it is by far my anchor of choice amongst my quiver of anchors. Just went through two nights of wind in the 30's on much shorter scope than I would have liked 3.8:1 with no issues.

Here's an interesting video I made of my Rocna and my CQR setting in very hard sand (read; drive your vehicle on it) intertidal area.

Disclaimer: I have NO connection to Craig Smith or Rocna I am just a satisfied customer. The video below was shot by me, for a friend, NOT by an anchor manufacturer. I own both of those anchors. The Rocna is a 33 LB and the CQR is 35 Lb.).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmGAckf69pE

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I used a Delta for 20 years and was perfectly satisfied with it. It never dragged and only failed to set on a few very rare occasions. Once I reached the Ionian I did have some problems with it, particularly in soft mud in strongly gusting winds. I then bought a Rocna, going down one kilogram from 16 to 15. It has given absolutely no trouble, I think it sets more reliably in a wider range of bottoms and it also has never dragged.

Around the UK I would be perfectly happy with a Delta, based on my experience. In the wider world I would recommend a Rocna, again based on my experience.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
It amuses me to see the various anchoring threads, especialy the ones promoting their own anchors, but to be fair, we do not see many rocnas out here, simply because they are grossly expensive. I love to snorkel when its warm so I get plenty of opertunities to see various anchors on the seabed. It never fails to amaze me just how many peeps think they are anchored, when in fact they are NOT. The amount of copy Bruces (claws) that are laid on their back is unbeleivable, they are being held by weight of chain alone! Regarding the Delta, I think if correctly dug in, it is one of the better anchors, I still own a small CQR, and have no problem in digging it in. One of the best anchors I have seen (could be that the owner knows what he is doing) is the spade, very impressed! All I know is that my Delta sets far better than my CQR, the Rocna looks impressive, I firmly believe that peeps use and rely on chain only, when chain and warp would be better and more forgiving, especialy in the non tidal applications of the med.

My observations are similar, though I dont do diving.

I drop my old bent second hand plough thingy and a bit of chain, 400 hp wont shift it. Interestingly, when I come to retrieve it, the chains snaked all over the place, the force never reached the anchor.

Any one who believes that a bit of a different shaped anchor will make a difference are just fodder to the marketeers.

Just imagine 10 tons of boat jumping about on 35 LB of anchor stuck in a bit of sand, there is no contest.

The chain is the investment, however there is no marketing power in chain,

Are the folk having problems being very stingy on chain, as one bloke said. "It wont hook up". Eventually turned out, his boat had just 15 ft of chain and nothing else, on a 40 ft boat. We normally run out about 30 M of chain in 6 M of water, It's not as though were short of it.

MacMan

sailtoanywhere.blogspot.com
It's not as though were short of it.

But you might one day want to anchor somewhere were you are short of the space and want the most secure setting you can get for the most limited scope you can get away with. Loadsa chain doens't help here. Also for myself (as a catamaran driver) I want to keep total weight down.

If your happy with your set up then great - but it is for the reason that I invested in a new generation anchor (as Spade no connection accept a happy customer but it's my third for different boats) and am happy with my choice and have no regrets.

I wouldn't recommend a Aluminum Spade as a main Bower - I have bent the shank of one (which was replaced for no charge) but was told "there not really for a bower anchor" - I still have a smaller spade as a kedge and am happy with that as it's lightweight makes it easy to move around the boat as often required for a kedge

I did make a new years resolution not to reply to Anchor threads anymore - oh well !!! ;-)

MacMan

sailtoanywhere.blogspot.com
....It was bested all around by the steel Spade but beat the aluminum version in setting, though not holding. It did not perform anywhere near as well as my Manson Supreme or Rocna. I am currently using a Rocna and it is by far my anchor of choice...

Despite the many anchoring threads, it's not very often you get an independant view on the choice BETWEEN new generation anchors. I currently have a Spade and whilst I am happy and won't be switching anytime soon if (ever) I get a new bigger boat am always interested as to what would be the best investment to make.

In what respect did the Rocna & Manson Supreme outperfom the Spade - setting ? Holding ? On what bottoms and were they the same weight ?

Any why does the Rocna beat the Manson in the end ?

(I am personally completlely convinced of the benefits of new generation versus old so am only interested in the comparision between new gen anchors)

PS Why do you have so many anchors ?