Honda BF2.3 valve adjustment.

jamie N

Visit site
As the title suggests. I'm looking for an actual procedure for this very simple act. I've adjusted tappets on dozens of engines over the years, but am slightly concerned about this one, as there's no clear path (that I can see) onto the head. I'm looking for the procedure beyond taking the cover off and beyond taking the pull start off. Does the air filter come off next, or the fuel tank, or perhaps even the carb?
Rather than continue blindly, I'd a moment of common sense, and am asking here if someone has the Honda procedure, or has made a procedure in the same very helpful way as the one on cleaning the carb. I'd appreciate a copy.
TIA.

jamie N

Visit site
Searched and searched before arriving upon this PDF, which is for the BF2, not BF2.3, but should help me enough with this issue. With shame, I must admit that although the engine runs perfectly, ticks over great and starts 3rd pull everytime whether hot or cold, has had much fresh oil after each 50 or so hours of running, and sounds perfect, I've never touched the valve clearances.
True shame.

Last edited:

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
With shame, I must admit that although the engine runs perfectly, ticks over great and starts 3rd pull everytime whether hot or cold, has had much fresh oil after each 50 or so hours of running, and sounds perfect, I've never touched the valve clearances.
True shame.
I've never touched mine either, mainly because the engine has to be removed to access the valves.
If you decide to give it a go, please report back on how you got on. :)

jamie N

Visit site
I've never touched mine either, mainly because the engine has to be removed to access the valves.
If you decide to give it a go, please report back on how you got on. :)
Will do. I'm going to make it a 'must do' for the winter, but as the motor's running like a good'un just now, I reckon that it'll wait until then.

Sailingman111

Visit site
Hi. Whilst I've not adjusted the valves (nor needed to) I have done a fair amount of work over the years on the engine, most recently changing the rusted up centrifugal clutch after a dunking. I've shamelessly taken other people's advice on forums to find my way!

I take pictures as I go, to remind myself for the next time, and put them in a google doc. The doc is available to view by anyone, it may help you with your service works as and when.

Since I also could not entirely figure out where various bits lived, prior to changing the clutch, I also put a summary of that into the doc.

Hoping it helps.

Full ink
Honda 2.3HP Outboard Service and Carb Clean

Steve65

Visit site
Looks like i habe been let out of YBF jail.
Valve adjustment on these is part of a main service....it never ever gets done. You will need to remove the powerhead,but its definately worth doing.
You can replace and rusty fastners and treat any rust on the rocker box