Honda 2 hp and gel

Gunfleet

Visit site
My Honda 2 hp outboard was a bit spluttery so I took the carb off and found a lot of rusty gunge and some sort of gel in the bottom of the float chamber. The rusty gunge I understand but would one of the mechanical expert people on here 1) explain the gel and 2) tell me what I should be doing to prevent a recurrence? Please!
Thanks

nordic_ranger

Visit site
It is most likely to be cause by petrol being left in the carb. and it evaporating. At the end of every season it is best to run the engine in fresh water for about 20 minutes and run the carb. dry by switching off the fuel at the tank.

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
At the end of every season it is best to run the engine in fresh water for about 20 minutes and run the carb. dry by switching off the fuel at the tank.

[/ QUOTE ]

Run the carb dry after every weekend or what ever. A good idea to run in fresh water every time as well.

If you store fuel over the winter keep in full cans only, not the tank, and filter any stored fuel before use. Also a good idea to mix 50:50 with fresh but better to discard old fuel and start off with fresh especially if just small quantities are involved.

fireball

Visit site
Fresh water for the Air cooled Honda 2HP won't make much difference .... but yup - run the carb dry before storage ...

VicS

Visit site
I must admit I had forgotten that it was air cooled but IIRC depending on age some have water cooled exhausts. If that is the case then still not a bad idea to run in fresh water but no where near as important as with a fully water cooled engine.

bobgoode

Visit site
Boy did you have a lucky escape from a big bill. ( Been there and did not make a get away!) There is a drain screw at the back of the carb float bowl to enable you to drain the dregs when leaving for an extended period. You could also ensure that you run the ennginhe frequently and always shut fuel off then run dry.

Gunfleet

Visit site
Actually I did have to strip and reassemble the carb a couple of times because I couldn't get the engine to tick over. It was the pilot screw after all that, which was miles out though I hadn't touched it. The engine runs fine and starts first pull now. By the way I knew it was air cooled too, but thought I wouldn't say anything to Vic as he was kind enough to offer advice which applies in 99% of circumstances. I wouldn't want to put him off, since he's asuch good contributor on the chemical end of things.
John
ps but he never said what that gel was! I bet he knows

fireball

Visit site
Excellent ... I'm a great believer in self sufficiency - especially when it comes to boating parts ... if you can't at least strip and rebuild then you'll never find out what's wrong... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I think our carb is due a strip later this summer.