Honda 2.3 outboard and E10 fuel

robmcg

Visit site
This year our little Honda 2.3 outboard was run on E10 fuel for the first time. It was also the first time we started to get problems with it. The carb has been off more times for a clean this year than I care to remember. There never seems to be much really visible detritus or water in the fuel for that matter but the outboard doesn't seem happy to run for more than a couple of weeks before needing a carb clean again. Anyone else had this issue? Did using premium unleaded (E5) help?

jamie N

Visit site
I thought that E10 was the work of the devil when I 1st used it on my 2.3, but now reckon that it's not so bad. I did clean the jets when it 1st began to give trouble ticking over, having to use the choke and so on. Once I'd cleaned the jets though, I never had another problem and am drawn to the belief that it was something of a coincidence with a 9 year old engine, fuel of an unknown heritage etc.etc...
Undoubtedly you'll be running the carb dry after each use, which I do reckon is a major way of preventing any issue, I also actually drain the carb of the final bit of fuel by loosening the carb drain plug to get the absolute dregs from it.

Refueler

Visit site
I have Johnson ... Mariner ... Evinrude ... and various soviet engines (those I don't use !) .... but all have run on 10 fuel fine.

I just make sure I stop by running carb out - not on the button. If I use the button and leave the engine - it will be a pig to start ... but thats been typical long before E5 .. E7 ... E10 etc.

NormanS

Visit site
I have the same outboard. I dose the fuel with the recommended amount of Briggs and Stratton Fuel Fit, and have had absolutely no problem. When stopping, I always run the carburetor dry. It takes ages to stop. It also seems to take a long time for the carburetor to fill again, and there's no point in trying to start it until it has. I always need to use the choke for starting, but then it starts first time.

Aquanaught

Visit site
I had nothing but problems with E10 fuel in an oldish Honda 2.3 hp. Always ran the carb dry when finished with engine for the day, but the very fine slow running jet was continously getting blocked. Possibly needs the final residue drained as jamie N suggests. Switched to E5 fuel and still some issues. Finally used Aspen fuel and no problems at all for last two seasons. Don't bother to run carb dry now. Whilst rather more expensive, 5L will last me a season and the extra cost well worth not having the hassle of blocked jets. I dare say E5 fuel will be better than E10, but for the small Honda which appears to be particularly prone to jets getting blocked by residue, the Aspen fuel might be best option if your use is relatively light.

robmcg

Visit site
I use fuel set in the fuel and previously ran the outboard on E5 fuel. It ran faultlessly. Now using E10, there has been nothing but problems. The only change we have made is using E10 petrol. As Aquanaught says, it's the fine slow running jet that's the issue (the black plastic one under the carb top plate). It seems to get blocked but whatever is blocking it must be tiny as nothing seems to come out when it's cleaned. Seriously thinking of reverting back to our old Mariner 2.5 two stroke which never really misses a beat but is far more thirsty than the little Honda.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've also had problems with E10 petrol, lawnmower, Honda 2.3, Strimmer & small generator. Now use E5 with Honda fuel additive and no more problems. I confess I don't drain the carb on the Honda, but no problem for me - always starts on the 3rd pull.

roaringgirl

bit.ly
Looking at all these issues, I count my blessings! We have a Nissan/Tohatsu 9.8 2/t. It has been clamped to the pushpit for the last 10 months in Wellington. I have never ever drained the carb, or run it dry, or flushed it with freshwater. It started 3rd pull.

fjcruiserdxb

Visit site
Honda engines like clean petrol so if petrol is more than 2-3 weeks old, engine may not start. Petrol deteriorates even in cold climates. Another tip is to shut the petrol tank once you are done and keep engine running in neutral to get rid of last bit of petrol till it stalls before tilting the engine up. Honda engine needs more TLC than other brands but following these simple rules will means years of trouble free motoring.

jwilson

Visit site
Last year I started using Aspen in two small engines: 3.5 two-stroke and 2.5 four-stroke. Previously run on super unleaded petrol plus oil for the 2/S. Both now start more easily and the two-stroke has not needed carb cleaning, which used to be a fairly common requirement after a few weeks unused. Stopping by turning of fuel doesn't completely empty the carb, though it helps.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Honda engines like clean petrol so if petrol is more than 2-3 weeks old, engine may not start. Petrol deteriorates even in cold climates. Another tip is to shut the petrol tank once you are done and keep engine running in neutral to get rid of last bit of petrol till it stalls before tilting the engine up. Honda engine needs more TLC than other brands but following these simple rules will means years of trouble free motoring.
I have owned a Honda 2.0hp for over 20 years now without any problems including two duckings. In the early days , problems were self inflicted due to not leaving it properly oriented.

But, I have only used petrol (not Aspen) with zero E5 or E10. This year I will have to use E5 so I'm interested to see what happens.

Martin&Rene

Visit site
After having my Yamaha 2.5 outboard sorted because of one problem by Clyde Outboard, he said to me "just run it on Aspen". (Since he does not sell it, it was not just a selling comment) Ok, the cost is dearer than petrol per litre, but I use use less than 5 litres a year anyway for just short ferry trips to and from the yacht when at anchor. Initially the hard part was buying it, from a lawnmower repair shop, but it is now sold at the Marina.

He reckoned the modern petrol goes off in a small number of months, and just think that, with it being in the sun, the fuel in your outboard is likely to be subject to higher temperatures than the fuel in car.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
After having my Yamaha 2.5 outboard sorted because of one problem by Clyde Outboard, he said to me "just run it on Aspen". (Since he does not sell it, it was not just a selling comment) Ok, the cost is dearer than petrol per litre, but I use use less than 5 litres a year anyway for just short ferry trips to and from the yacht when at anchor. Initially the hard part was buying it, from a lawnmower repair shop, but it is now sold at the Marina.

He reckoned the modern petrol goes off in a small number of months, and just think that, with it being in the sun, the fuel in your outboard is likely to be subject to higher temperatures than the fuel in car.
There are a number of good reports about Aspen from forumites.

Steve65 who was the expert concerning Honda 2.3 engines was not keen on it though.

Link here
Page two of the thread.
Honda 2.3 outboard

Stemar

Visit site
Honda engines like clean petrol so if petrol is more than 2-3 weeks old, engine may not start
Glad I haven't got a Honda then. My Tohatsu 3.5 2T and, after it was stolen, its replacement Mercury 3.5 4T always had whatever came out of the green nozzle while I was filling the car from the back one, and 5l would last most of the season, often running on last year's fuel. So far the only time I cleaned a carb was when I thought a problem was fuel starvation, but it turned out to be electrical. I do get my engine professionally serviced annually.