Holiday Plans in Peril! Urgently require small Hardwood block supplier recommendation!

najsmith

Visit site
Hi all,

Urgently need to buy a replacement mounting block to fit for this weekend, if vacation plans are to involve any sailing next week! Jetwashing the deck revealed a rotten wooden block, that clearly hadnt had enough love or teak oil over the years.

Any reliable / reasonable / quick suppliers out there ? Dimensions are roughly 6.5"L x 1.5"W x 0.75"(or 0.5") H

Based in Guildford area, Sail out of Portsmouth.

Much appreciated forumites!

NAJS

length of wood.jpgwidth of wood.jpg

Last edited:

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Hi all,

Urgently need to buy a replacement mounting block to fit for this weekend, if vacation plans are to involve any sailing next week! Jetwashing the deck revealed a rotten wooden block, that clearly hadnt had enough love or teak oil over the years.

Any reliable / reasonable / quick suppliers out there ? Dimensions are roughly 6.5"L x 1.5"W x 0.75"(or 0.5") H

NAJS

View attachment 160682View attachment 160683
Do Google for timber supplies in your area. Not DIY places.

najsmith

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Have found a Kiln dried Iroko and Mahogony supplier that could get me something I can bring down to the right size, for £20 incl. delivery - is such Iroko or Mahogony "Marine worthy" provided I oil it up regularly?

harvey38

Visit site
I can cut you two pieces of iroko or sapele 10mm thick and bond them together to give you 20mm thickness, if you PM me your address I can get them off tomorrow using EVRI next day so,you should have 'em by Thursday.

najsmith

Visit site

Poignard

Visit site
It's a fair comment. I have yet to remove it and assess what reinforcement (if any) exists beneath. The wood is needed for height clearance to run the lines through the appropriate guides.
Well you probably won't have time for casting a base so my chunk of mahogany seems the easiest solution for now.

Martin_J

Visit site
I would stop off at J Inkster Timber merchant, just off the A3 near Havant.. It's a bit of a wiggle to get to and their website is rather old, but you just pick up the pieces you want and pay according to size of the bits you found..

Red marker below..

Screenshot_20230725-125937_Maps.jpg

Although for a piece that size, I'd have temporarily found an off cut of the local marina decking (asked for of course), because they're permanently replacing planks.

Pinnacle

Visit site
Hi all,

Based in Guildford area, Sail out of Portsmouth.

NAJS

View attachment 160682View attachment 160683
I may have just what you want and in Guildford. I have pm’d you my mobile number.