HMS Pickle replica saved and being restored

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
The 2005 built replica of HMS Pickle has been bought, and is undergoing replacement of shrunken deck planks etc in Gib, before returning to England. Excellent news, she was going downhill fast.

capnsensible

Visit site
Hiya,

Pickle left Gib towards the end of last year. Chap I was sailing with last week reckons she is in Portugal now.

Was looking a bit tatty and lost in Gib, would be nice to see the vessel getting some TLC.

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
Thanks cptn.. the guy has previous for successful restoration of old ships so fingers crossed, Jerry

edited to add, proper job being done, in Portimao

Last edited:

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I hope so, used to like seeing her around N Wales & the Straits. Surprised she doesn't do more TV & film work.

14704571.jpg

Last edited:

Horace

N/A
Visit site
The 2005 built replica of HMS Pickle has been bought, and is undergoing replacement of shrunken deck planks etc in Gib, before returning to England. Excellent news, she was going downhill fast.

Built in 2005 dos'nt sound like it should need much work surely? Time to bring out a fibreglass version :encouragement:

2nd_apprentice

Visit site
She's in Keadby on the River Trent now. Unfortunately we didn't quite make it into the lock on one tide from Hull (and broke a spar on the bowsprit when going alongside). Lovely vessel and a charming crew.

Woodlouse

Visit site
Dog of a boat that was never built to last and certainly never a replica of HMS Pickle of which no plans or even drawings survive.

It would be nice if all these organisations would stop pouring money into hulks and instead direct their funds into building something genuine and worthwhile.

Poignard

Visit site
I was thinking more technical drawings but thanks for pointing that picture out. It's a far better looking ship than the 'replica'.

I se what you mean.

However, in those days officers were required to be good at sketching so it's probably a pretty good representation of her general appearance and rig.

The original was built in Bermuda in 1800 and acquired by the Navy so maybe she was built without plans; her lines being taken off a half-model.

2nd_apprentice

Visit site
The owner likes to think of her as a recreation rather than a replica because it would be impossible to build an exact copy. There may be a lot of questionable ships around in this category but "Pickle" isn't one of them and I certainly wouldn't call her a dog.

Woodlouse

Visit site
I think that is the reason. The admiralty were pretty good at keeping all the details of their builds back then and even major ships that were brought or captured into the service had their lines taken off them. I guess the Pickle was either too minor a vessel or never had a refit at an appropriate royal docks to get the same treatment.