Highest red diesel prices?

G

What is the price per litre (for red diesel) in your Marina (or anywhere else for that matter)with the appropriate replies we can boycot the highest ones? Rob.

G

32p / litre at southsea marina - portsmouth. was 39 p at the height of the crisis last year. reduction for 200 litres plus

G

Interesting! How do you get it to the boat? I usually take about 120 gals in a fill so 5 gal cans are not practical.

Nick

G

He has a small towable bowser, I can only get the fuel when my boat is at home, at marinas when I'm away I pay 80p - £1 a gallon but have paid as much as £1.20p

G

showing my age but when Hamble Point marina was first built I moored there, the cost then was 10 old pence a gallon in those days - cheap even then.

G

Thanks -I have several farmer contacts, I might ask if any of them have such a bowser.

Nick

G

Byron, I find that price amazing. Assuming that the farmer is selling it to you at cost ie. 10p/litre and assuming that a marina can buy the stuff at the same price, then that marina is making a gross profit of 15p/litre if it is selling fuel at, say, 25p/litre. In other words, if I fill my boat with 200galls of diesel, the marina makes a gross profit of £136 out of me. There must be a business oppurtunity for your farmer friend here (especially if he's a livestock farmer!)

G

Salterns at Poole is about 37p per litre but that farmer is selling to you at way under cost. Is it the Farmer?!! We buy loads of the stuff and in September 2000 it peaked at 24.9 but last time I looked it was around 18 pence per litre which was the lowest available from 3 suppliers. Even at 18 ppl it has risen by around 8 pence per litre on last years Farm prices.

G

I buy Central Heating oil, for central heating obviously, at about 300 gallons a go, at 18p per litre about 3 weeks ago, which was a very good price.

Mind Byron probably filled up in 1999, last time!!

G

He buys 4,000 - 7,000 gallons a time and other local smaller farmers draw from him. He is an arable farmer with a deal of gutsy equipment and he also does contract work too. I suspect Marina's do not buy more than a couple of thousand a time so will pay more, even so I suggest they are ripping us off. Look at the Guy at Ramsgate and his standard of living and that is all he does is sell fuel.

G

Thanks Mike :) Actually last time was in Dunkirk and I drew my fuel from a Panamanian Car Carrier that was under arrest, I only took on 80 gallons or so and the Skipper gave it to me for free. Us Greeks stick together. I just telephoned my neighbour (you know who it is) he told me if I want some now it would be 60p a gallon.

G

You mean Foy Boat? It always used to irk me when he rolled up in his red Merc to sell you diesel at just about the highest price on the South Coast. Apparently, he has an exclusive franchise so he can pretty much charge what he likes; thats when he can be bothered to turn up to sell it to you, of course. Re marina's, even if they buy smaller quantities, I guess that they still pay only 12-15 p/l at most and, therefore 25p/l or more is still a rip-off. Perhaps, we stinkpotters should set up a fuel bowser somewhere!

G

Re: Ramsgate Fuel Shambles

There have been a few changes in the fuel situation in Ramsgate recently. The fuel pontoon has always been expensive, previous viewers may remember me having a road tanker and saving £100 on 1000 litres.

Foy Boat also supplied the Pilot boat service (Esl) and the local fishermen. Two weeks ago, the Fishermens Society finally got permission to instal their own diesel tank to supply themselves and Esl at cost. They informed Foy Boat that they would not be purchasing any more fuel from him.

His immediate response was to close down !!! He just shut up shop completely. It appeared that he thought this would force the Harbour Authority to reverse their decision on the new fuel facility. I am glad to say that they arranged for a road tanker to be parked permanantly on the quayside to fuel all vessels. The new facility will be ready in about 2 weeks and will also sell fuel to private boats until perhaps another operator is found for a fuel berth. It may be that this solution becomes permanent.

The good news is that fuel is now cheaper in Ramsgate, around 30p per litre.But only payment is cash at present. Fuel should still be cheap when the new facility is opened in March.

Foy Boat seems to have shot himself in the foot has he was trying to sell the business for £150k last summer. Now he does not have a going concern to sell, only a rusty barge.

Such a shame to see him go !!

ps. Mercedes Convertible for sale, change in circumstance forces downsizing..Te he

Dave S

G

Re: Ramsgate Fuel Shambles

David, this is good news. I only hope any new operator has a more enlightened attitude to customer relations. Did Foy Boat lose the franchise or did it just expire?

G

I spoke to Q8 oil looking for a tanker to deliver 5000 litres of 35 cetane(?) red diesel - the price 23p a litre. I would assume that most marinas get this only slightly cheaper, unless they dispense a lower grade eg heating oil.

G

I bought 1000 litres a few weeks back for 19p per litre from a local supplier. 23p sounds very steep, have you phoned around other suppliers?