Hi

nigelcarton

www.moveyourboat.co.uk
Hi, just thought I'd introduce myself! In the not too distant future I will be defecting from the inland waterways (canals) and moving to the Isle of Wight. Now I can't bring my narrowboat with me so I'm going to be looking for a motorboat, and a mooring! Its going to be a life style change as at preasent I deliver boats around the system and am a praticing Boat Safety Examiner. I have my name on a waiting list at Ryde Harbour 2- 3 years! Anyway, hope to get to know a few people on here!
Cheers

Nigel

Edit to say, posted this in the vp, but re-directed here. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kawasaki

Visit site
Hi Nigel and welcome too.
Which ditch are You crawling from?
Think You,l need a vessel that can punch the Tide down there.
No more 5kts maximum for You then /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

goochie

Visit site
Welcome to the madhouse Nigel! Good to have you on board and feel free to ask away. Stupid questions particularly welcomed - well, we still ask them anyway /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Frontier

Visit site
Hi Nigel

Welcome to the forum. Do you know the tide goes out at Ryde? Well I guess you know it goes out, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif but it dries.

Nice looking boat, only comment is you might want rails all the way back for the sea. It can feell a bit exposed up front on a rough day and although you may not intend going up there until you are in sheltered water something unexpected may happen that means you have to. IMO

Best wishes

D

nigelcarton

www.moveyourboat.co.uk
Hi,

yeah I know the tide goes out and there's no water at all but what do you mean by 'dry'? . Here's a question, what if the motorboat I get has a semi or v hull? I'm used to flat bottomed boats. I understand that you can only go out 2.5 hours before and after HW.

Nigel

Frontier

Visit site
Hi Nigel,

This is what It was like when I went there, the boats tend to sink into the mud. I lift the legs.

[image]
2006_0603unsorted-20030.jpg
[/image]

Also there is no electricity on the pontoons and with the tide out I couldn't run the generator.

Nice little harbour though and the mini fair seems to stop at the end of the afternoon so it's quite.

D

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
pip.jpg
What a strange looking craft.

Where is the radar reflector, vhf aerial and is the hatch at the front the anchor locker? Is it a planing hull?

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Welcome to the forum and I mirror Frontier's point about the lack of guard rails on your intended style. At sea you always need to be thinking rails, lifejackets, man overboard and depth under keel. Unlike ditches, the sea loves to hide rocks.

Have a safe one.

Frontier

Visit site
She is a cute boat, dont often see shorter longboats!! (well those of us who dont frequent the canals much dont anyway)

Bet you miss her already.

You could use quite a bit of fuel on the sea depending on the boat you get, so consider which you go for, petrol of diesel, and where the nearest supply is.

D

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I was more concerned about the V8 petrol?? And think the term off shore is pushing it a bit.

I think the tin thing stuck up, is the radar. But no idea whether it is single or twin engined though. Would not think it more than twin AD41's , so no more than 400hp.

l'escargot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
....moving to the Isle of Wight. Now I can't bring my narrowboat with me....

[/ QUOTE ]
You wouldn't be alone, there are two on the Medina in Newport - one of which is a sixty footer.