Hi all, I could do with some help. I am looking for a yacht from 30 to 35 ft and wish to put it at a marina near yarmouth.

Leighb

Visit site
Just out of interest, obviously Woolverstone is one of these; which is the other?
Next door, the RHYC marina, it is possibly slightly more affected by the tidal stream as it is further out and closer to the dredged channel. At some times the direction can be 180deg different between the outer and inner berths, makes life interesting.

pvb

Visit site
Just out of interest, obviously Woolverstone is one of these; which is the other?

Didn't Woolverstone install differently shaped pontoons to try to stop the current in the marina? I had a berth there in the 1980s and it was a nightmare mooring when the tide was sluicing through.

fredrussell

Visit site
Next door, the RHYC marina, it is possibly slightly more affected by the tidal stream as it is further out and closer to the dredged channel. At some times the direction can be 180deg different between the outer and inner berths, makes life interesting.
Ah yes, forgot about that one.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Not to mention their £££££ prices - for lousy shelter at Wolverstone.

In over 12 years on the East Coast, we have had a berth at Ipswich Haven, Fox's, SYH and Shotley.
I never saw the attraction of Woolverstone.
Other than the £££, the tide running through the pontoons put me off.

I found that SYH worked best for us.

Chalk

Visit site
My wife and I keep our boat at Shotley. It's a 2 hour 20min drive on a reasonable run from near Sleaford in Lincolnshire. The drive is worth it. If newish to the East Coast seriously consider anything between Bradwell and Ipswich if you can get there in c. 2hrs or so. You can visit the Deben, Ore, Southwold, up to Lowestoft & Gt. Yarmouth but I'd think twice about berthing there if you want to go exploring over 2, 3 or 4 days. If time is not a problem, driving is quicker than sailing....

Ianthediver

Visit site
Hi Guys and girls that have given me a lot to go thruogh. I am going to see 5 yachts ranging from 20,000 to 30,000 31 to 33 ft I need to be able to sail it on my own as crew may be a bit space what can I buy please?

Ianthediver

Visit site
In over 12 years on the East Coast, we have had a berth at Ipswich Haven, Fox's, SYH and Shotley.
I never saw the attraction of Woolverstone.
Other than the £££, the tide running through the pontoons put me off.

I found that SYH worked best for us.
Hi Would you think Foxses is about the normal price in the area for birthing?

pvb

Visit site
Hi Would you think Foxses is about the normal price in the area for birthing?

You'll find that Orwell marina prices are generally cheaper the further from the sea you go. So Shotley will be at the top end of prices, as it's close to the sea. Foxes will be cheaper as it's a long way up the river. Suffolk Yacht Harbour will be somewhere in-between.

PeterWright

Visit site
Hi Guys and girls that have given me a lot to go thruogh. I am going to see 5 yachts ranging from 20,000 to 30,000 31 to 33 ft I need to be able to sail it on my own as crew may be a bit space what can I buy please?
Hi,

Another chap asked much the same question on here back in August and, after a lot of advice, he ended up buying a Westerly Storm. She's only marginally bigger than the better known and much praised Fulmar, but faster, better equipped below and with a superb cockpit layout yet tend to sell for the same price as Fulmars. If looking at Storms, beware the Storm Cruiser - it's the same boat with a smaller rig (borrowe ffrom the smaller Westerly Tempest) and a bigger engine to make up for it. If you have a good Tiller pilot, no problems with single handing.

(3) Hoping to return to the East Coast; a question of draft | YBW Forum

It will save a lot of people a lot of typing if you read that thread.

Peter.

fredrussell

Visit site
Thank you it it expensive to birth there?

Actually, Woolverstone now does two rates for boats. One that gets you ‘free’ access to other MDL marinas, and one that just covers Woolverstone marina itself. I got a quote for the latter on my 31ft boat and it was not a great deal more than the other Orwell marinas. If memory serves it was circa £3400 per year.