Help with valuing and back ground on a boat

bruno.crosbie

Visit site
Hi there,

I am looking for a boat to do some fishing and exploring of the South coast with some potential weekend trips. I was perhaps looking at a Colvic sea worker or a Watson. Budget 15k-20k My friend who is a very experienced seamen and has a long background with boats is trying to convince me to purchase this Landau 20.
Landau 20 Boat for Sale, "Unnamed" at Jones Boatyard

This seems like a massive amount of money for not very much. Does anyone have any experience with this boat?

Any help greatly appreciated.

bruno.crosbie

Visit site
Apparently it does 5 knots and tops out a little bit above. Coming from a RIB background it seems a bit underwhelming. Why do you say it is a lovely boat? Are they known for their quality?

waynes world

Visit site
Apparently it does 5 knots and tops out a little bit above. Coming from a RIB background it seems a bit underwhelming. Why do you say it is a lovely boat? Are they known for their quality?
It looks lovely, not a clue on build quality. for coastal i would want atleast 15knots, just me and being a newbie and want it when i need it. .

Tranona

Visit site
Very much a "cult" boat. Designed by one of the best designers of his time, David Thomas. Although mainly a sailing boat designer, he was a free thinker who developed unusual hull forms that performed far better than they look. I can understand why your friend is so keen - it is in a different league from clunky old style heavy displacement boats such as the Colvics. It was beautifully built by Hunters and was very expensive when new. The Honda is fine for river and coastal use. this gives a bit of background, but do bot more research before dismissing it
landau20.wordpress.com

oldgit

Visit site
.....And the interior looks clean and modern and more importantly probably does not reek of 30 years marination in old diesel !

Last edited:

bruno.crosbie

Visit site
Pretty much decided to go for it. Just need to convert it for coastal use. GPS, radio, flares all that faff. I’ve been quite interested in auto helm. Does anyone have any advice on how useful it is for longer day trips and the value for money it would bring?

jakew009

Visit site
Pretty much decided to go for it. Just need to convert it for coastal use. GPS, radio, flares all that faff. I’ve been quite interested in auto helm. Does anyone have any advice on how useful it is for longer day trips and the value for money it would bring?

I can’t really see how you are going to get much use out of an autopilot on that boat, but then again if you can only go 5 knots it’s going to take you an eternity to get anywhere so maybe you will need it.

It doesn’t look like it has any electronics on it at all at the moment, so I assume you are going to need a plotter as well. It has cable steering so your only real option is one of the wheel pilot type contraptions that bolt to the steering wheel. Budget 2.5k if you are prepared to DIY, probably closer to 4k if you pay someone else to do it. Cheaper obviously if you find secondhand gear that someone else has ripped out.

I’d put the money towards a bigger engine.

I hope you’ve knocked them right down on price because you are going to take a hell of a bath if you ever try to sell it again.

Firefly625

Visit site
Hi there,

I am looking for a boat to do some fishing and exploring of the South coast with some potential weekend trips. I was perhaps looking at a Colvic sea worker or a Watson. Budget 15k-20k My friend who is a very experienced seamen and has a long background with boats is trying to convince me to purchase this Landau 20.

This seems like a massive amount of money for not very much. Does anyone have any experience with this boat?

Hi there,

Considered a Mitchell 31? A very capable sea boat, not wishing to be rude but makes a Landau 20 look like a dinghy.. and I do know of one that has a motivated seller and would certainly be in your budget, plus it’s got a commercial spec Perkins Sabre 215 engine in excellent condition… see link to ad below

Mitchell 31

Good luck