Help with refitting the leg on a 4hp mariner

pcv

Visit site
1997 mariner 4hp long shaft 2stroke
Thought Id service the outboard myself, changed the oil, cleaned the carb plug ect and dropped the leg out and changed the impellor pump. My problem is the leg won’t go back. It slides nearly to the top then moves the gear selector forward and wont go any further.
I think the gear selector is my problem but haven’t got the service instructions so unsure of the correct way to refit the leg.
Any help please
pete

Blueboatman

Visit site
Couple of things to try first,without knowing that years model though.
Is the gearbox itself in neutral ? Try assembly with it in gear and out.
The connector block half way down the leg,accessed behind the large blanking plug that you removed to dismantle,may have rotated and now cause the lower gear link rod end to foul the actual leg casing ?
I assume you have tried wiggling the drive shaft or rotating the crank a quarter turn with the starter rope whilst sliding the leg in ?
And,sometimes these things reassemble more easily if you clamp in such a way as to assemble them vertically.

An expert will be along shortly I am sure.

sparkie

Visit site
Yes I'd agree with Blueboatman, probably the gear selector rod not being in the right place. These things can be a pig to reassemble. Try putting the gear selector rod down, then fitting the clamp loosely, then give it (the leg) a good shove up, twisting the drive shaft as it goes. You can adjust the selector rod properly afterwards. I don't think there is a foolproof method, just trial and error and a lot of bad language.

Good luck

Sparkie

pcv

Visit site
Been there with the bad language, Iv removed the clip completely at the moment as it was P*****g me off and the top of the rod from the gearbox has not reached the hole in the top of the leg. Before getting more physical with it I thought Id ask advice, it the gear selector on the engine that I thought might be the course of my problems as when the drive shaft reaches that part the lever moves forward and cant be moved and the leg refuses to move any further.

pete

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
As someone mentioned the engine must be upright to get everything to line up.
Are you making sure that the water stand pipe is engaging with the pump top gromme?
They are a pig to get together once split, so just have patience and keep at it you will eventually get it, DONT USE A HAMMER!