Help with importing USA boat to Uk

h22221

Visit site
Hi

I'm looking to import a 1985 scarab 1 into the UK, I understand VAT and import duty, so that side is fine.

But, I just wanted to see about RDC and CE compliance and if a scarab 1 would need to be assessed when importing into the UK, as I imagine they don't have a CE marking/RDC compliance?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks

h22221

Visit site
IIRC was RCD post '94?
So an older vessel might be OK.
Thanks, I read that if it was produced post 1 Jan 1985 and brought to the UK by 1998 it was exempt, but ones brought in after 1998 need to be compliant....not sure to be honest!

h22221

Visit site
Hi,
check my reply in the post: "buying a boat without CE marking"
Hope it can help
Thanks I'll have a look, but tbh I just found out about a 25% retaliatory tax between usa to uk which is applicable to boats! so at 46.7% tax/vat etc it might not be viable to import to be honest!

thanks for the help

superheat6k

Visit site
Sshh - pay the VAT , pay the Duty, and do not tell another sole. RCD complaince is a massive EU imposed trade barrier against our greatest friends, the USA. We are nearly out, so if you simply keep quiet no one will know, besides when the present nonsense is over RCD compliance on a one off vessel purchase from the USA, who by then wil be our closest ally, will be of big wig concern to absolutely no one. Indeed I expect most nonsense EU rules and perhaps the EU itself wil be on the bonfire when this lot is over.

h22221

Visit site
Sshh - pay the VAT , pay the Duty, and do not tell another sole. RCD complaince is a massive EU imposed trade barrier against our greatest friends, the USA. We are nearly out, so if you simply keep quiet no one will know, besides when the present nonsense is over RCD compliance on a one off vessel purchase from the USA, who by then wil be our closest ally, will be of big wig concern to absolutely no one. Indeed I expect most nonsense EU rules and perhaps the EU itself wil be on the bonfire when this lot is over.

Thanks, do boat insurance companies ask about it? Problem is that 46.7%tax/duty doesn't make it that viable

Whitelighter

Visit site
Hi

I'm looking to import a 1985 scarab 1 into the UK, I understand VAT and import duty, so that side is fine.

But, I just wanted to see about RDC and CE compliance and if a scarab 1 would need to be assessed when importing into the UK, as I imagine they don't have a CE marking/RDC compliance?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks

the RCD applies to when a boat was first put into use so it does need doing.

Greg2

Visit site
I looked into the CE situation as we were interested in a boat that had been brought from the US to the EU in 2013. I posted on it here and long story short it is required and it is actually a criminal offence not to have it.

On the issue of insurance, I spoke with our insurer about cover whilst we got the boat back to the UK and then got the CE certification done and the response was that if the Authorities were happy they were. Given that getting someone in authority to say they were happy was virtually impossible my guess is that it would give a reason for the insurance company to quibble in the event of a claim.

Worth bearing in mind that CE / RCD may not disappear anytime soon because we are leaving the EU - it will be transposed into UK legislation and like many EU things will be addressed when they get to it. I guess the US tax/tariff thing may disappear if we get a trade deal but given current events who knows how that is all going to pan out.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
Although much of the process to get a CE mark is effort rather than money, especially if going for CAT D with self certification, the big stumbling block is the engine. If it's not CE marked, it's way too involved to get type approval for a single engine.

With large sailing yachts, putting in a new engine is often viable as the £10,000 for a replacement 40hp represents only a 'small' part of the overall value.

But with a small power boat, all the value is in the engine.

Greg2

Visit site
Although much of the process to get a CE mark is effort rather than money, especially if going for CAT D with self certification, the big stumbling block is the engine. If it's not CE marked, it's way too involved to get type approval for a single engine.

With large sailing yachts, putting in a new engine is often viable as the £10,000 for a replacement 40hp represents only a 'small' part of the overall value.

But with a small power boat, all the value is in the engine.

Absolutely!

The boat we were looking at was a motorsailer and had the owner had the CE done at the time of import into the EU the engine would have been compliant. The trouble was that the later regs meant it wasn’t so to get CE meant an engine change. Circa £15k in this case but add to that the cost and complication of getting CE done (to Cat B - more so if we wanted Cat A) and the owner asking top dollar for an unknown marque in the EU (admittedly a respected make in the US) meant that it became an unattractive proposition.

superheat6k

Visit site
Just a thought. If I build a boat it won't be CE marked. Am I allowed to use it? :)
Yes, but as I recall you must own it for either 2 or 5 years (can't remember which) before selling it on. But this does not open a back door route for a grey import, as that avenue is clsoed off in the Directive, I understand.

Sorry Jed's answer didn't appear when I wrote my response.

bobtooke

Visit site
yes. Specific rules for self builds. You have to keep it for 5 years and you can operate it without RCD
So why not import "used component parts" from the US and build a custom vessel yourself? ?
Are there any specifics as to what constitutes a self built vessel for these purposes?
Does anyone know the specifics for this?

CLB

Visit site
Just thinking outside the box. Could you import it to the CIs, where there is no VAT and, being outside the EU, may not be affected by the tit for tat extra tax. You could then import it to the Uk with just normal VAT and duty rates. I may be a million miles off the mark, but worth looking into maybe.