help required - quite boaty

BarryH

Visit site
So, apart from crabs, what else does longjohn catch when he goes down for summink!

Right cooking on board. I tend to be the one that dows the washing up....well tow the pots and plates in a net behind the boat, so I usually do the one pan wonders. Like payella, Tagliatelle tossed in basil oil with chopped bacon and a chopped clove of garlic. Serve wiv a chunk of french bread and a bottle of dry white.

Failing that....sod it, go to the nearest good eatery and bash the credit card.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Ok this is the menu from our last two trips.

Mussels in wine and spring onions (all that we had)

Mussels nicked from the fishing boat in the picture. He was diving for them, they were stuck to the pontoon!!

Dirty_Lurkers_021.sized.jpg

Elavou Long John special.

Scallops wrapped in bacon, crab and lobster.

Dirty_Lurkers_013.sized.jpg

Multiply by about five to get an idea why I favour black puddings next week!!

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue>It's flog a flag day.<font color=red> Today.<font color=blue>

Haydn

TheBoatman

Visit site
I always think a good hot chilli is the best, one that makes yer eyes water for at least an hour. It has a number of things going for it.
1. Everyone luvs a chilli
2. Can be made before hand so that it has time to mature.
3. Easily re-heated
4. Burns going in as well as out, so gives crew something to talk about and take their mind off seasickness.
5. Only small lumps so doesn't block the scuppers or more importantly the heads.
6. Feed plenty to the navigator because one judicious fart is guaranteed to clear the cabin and thus leave him in peace to navigate away without interuption.
7. Will protect your liquid stores (see 6 above) as no one will want to go below.

There you go, 7 steps to heaven for a chief cook and bottle washer<s>

<hr width=100% size=1>

zefender

Visit site
Breakfast
very important - check out whether boat has 240V supply. If so, enquire whether a toaster is available. If not buy one from w.Dyas (about £12) Cooking breakfast on two burners plus oven is a bit of a struggle. Bacon/sausages in oven, kettle on one burner, French camping style 'toaster' on the other and no-where to cook the eggs. So, think about buying electric kettle too (W.Dyas starter pack includes kettle and toaster - £13:99). Timing often a bit of a problem given raggie facilities so think about a small microwave too. Can get v hot when cooking down below so I'd suggest a small AC unit for chef comfort. Once fire starts due to overampage drain, cook bacon anywhere handy, and avoiding dripping GRP as it curdles the eggs.

Result is excellent hot breakfast in warm surroundings, leaving lunch to be taken at local hospital and future sailing roles will be in cockpit rather than down below.

Alternative strategy is to stop at grottiest looking petrol station on whey down and buy iffy looking Ginsters pies and offer them as late supper snack on arrival at boat. That way, crew will not feel up to cooked breakfast and whole cooking mullarky is avoided.

3rd suggestion, if a little weak is:

Breakfast
Best maple smoked bacon (cooked in oven for full aromatic effect)
Decent bread rolls (eg pain rustique)
Good quality sausage (not too thick)
Large open cup mushrooms (cooked in oven)
Juices
Brioche (warmed) & jam and tom&brown sauce.

Smart handi-tip: buy nonstick oven pan or double line existing one with Bacofoil

Other similar culinary advice available on request.....

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
very useful. I may deploy those if plan 1A fails:

helpfully offer to make something involving turning the gas on eg cup of tea
pop head out of the companionway and ask for matches,
go back down below
burst a paper bag very very loudly
scream/curse
lie down on floor as crew rush down

which should win instant dismissal from my post.

If this doesn't work, then my usual "doing the washing up in the toilet bowl" routine will have to be deployed. The drain from the sink has no holding tank, see. Were you wanting a spoon for the tea/coffee?

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

For pudding try a 'Hawaiian Surprise' - melt some Mars Bars in a pan and chuck in some pineapple chunks,stir and serve.

<hr width=100% size=1>