help required - quite boaty

tcm

Visit site
I am increasingly concerned at a forthcoming trip planned for this weekend, at which i have been invited along as guest chef.

Despite the fact that this forum is all about cruising under sail, very little attention has paid to the matter of culinary expertise - it's all about ropes, navigation and suchlike. This leads me to wonder if the intended guests may not have very demanding palates - and yet they surely wouldn't have invited me along if all that is required is a gigantic fried breakfast and liquid refreshment (sic) for the remainder of the day. Is that about it? Or can anyone suggest suitable menus for a weekend sail? Why isn't this discussed more often?

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Ain't got cockpit drains! Got an open transom so big lumps are OK! I'm partial to Madras Chichen in Fajitas .. are you up to that?

<hr width=100% size=1>

burgundyben

Visit site
funnily enuff I thought only recently that more culinary posts would go down well (sorry), on Saturday for a day out on the boat I prepared some devils on horseback to be had as mid morning snacks, took some camenbert and crustry bread with grapes for lunch and clotted cream with strawberry jam and scones for afternoon tiffin.

<hr width=100% size=1>Sod the Healey - I think I'll buy an E-Type.

markdj

www.stronge.org.uk
We have a great old Cooking Afloat book that has loads of great info and recipes for calm, medium, and stormy conditions.

I think that cooking afloat in many cases, is a last resort. Ourselves, we hardly ever go out for meals as a family and cooking aboard is the norm. Recently I saw a program on cooking afloat on the TV so maybe this will be sometihng we will see more of...

I found the cooking program. It's on UK Bright Ideas and it's called Galley Slaves. It was just on there at 11:30am today.

<hr width=100% size=1>Mobile UK Weather
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stronge.org.uk>http://www.stronge.org.uk</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by markdj on 03/06/2003 12:23 (server time).</FONT></P>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Don't forget all the other guests, expect by the time we reach foreign waters around the Solent we'll be fed up of Haydns meat pies, tripe and black puddings.

If your cooking isn't up to scratch Muckyfarters plank will make an appearance.............................

<hr width=100% size=1>

jamesjermain

Visit site
All the 'Cookery on Board' series I have seen or been involved with (and I try very, very hard not to be involved) have invariable reset, after the first couple of episodes, to standard easy-to-prepare recipies which are boring and can be found in the cookery book/TV station of your choice.

Please, please, no long threads of recipies.

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

townquay

Visit site
Big boys' breakfasts (using the oven for as much as possible)
Pies or pasties for lunch (oven again)
A run ashore for dinner ! (sod cooking unless your out sailing)
Cheese &/or pate to go with the inevitable glass at the end of the day
Result - bliss!

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Ben
Are you planning on donning a blazer growing a rakish moustache and turning up in a girls dormitory armed only with a half bottle of fizz and a rougish 'hello' /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>By 'eck the sun is out</font color=red>

Laurin

Visit site
We've started using that part baked bread... only takes a few minutes in the oven and goes down a treat with the compulsary cup a soup.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re:cooking my experience.

Breakfast

Should be cumberland suasage bacon and HP sauce with poached egg fresh grilled vine tomatoes
choice of juice

failing that a can of stella artois and a cheese sandwich

Lunch. A more complicated choice. for some lunch is a relaxing affair but for the cruising sailor it should be functional and tasty. 2 cans of stella and another cheese sandwich usually suffices. I however tend to add to that the suggestion that wine is opened and a couple of mars bars.
Actually is there any more stella left as well? Well i'll have that too.

Afternoon tea. Complicated in parts of the med, as the wind tends to get up in the afternoon. Making the boat heel. Actually that stella is a bit fizzy is there any guinness cold? if not i'll have the wine. actually sod it i'll have both. NO i am fed up of cheese sandwiches. are there any pringle's? yes both packets.

pre dinner drinks and cocktails
G and T bien sur. Plus any cold stella if you have got some cold. White wine is also a good one but only the dry stuff. Any nuts? ooh nice one mini cheddars.

Unfortunately the serious cruiser, what with his late arrival and the need to have a couple of drinks after that drama getting onto the pontoon, has to eat late.
He normally decides he has to eat after the pub has stopped serving food . so he wanders back to the boat . fishes out those bottles of wine that he did not like the look of. but sod it .
Having finished that off he opens the scotch and proceeds to drink until horizontal or able to eat another cheese sandwich

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>By 'eck the sun is out</font color=red>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
That reminds me to bring the black puddings.

Mind you, if you could take better care to bring lobsters that would fit in a pan. We would not have half the trouble!!

Dirty_Lurkers_010.sized.jpg

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue>It's flog a flag day.<font color=red> Today.<font color=blue>

Haydn

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Full breakfast definitely most imortant. Recommend scrambled eggs as easier on board.
Lunch- on the move can't beat cold beef and horseradish rolls-well filled of course.
Dinner should be a culinary delight. One of my favourite dishes is rissotto. Easy to cook in one pan, everything can be prepared before you set out in the morning. Ingredients can vary according to locality. At the moment chicken and asparagus goes well ith a saffron rissotto. Later in the year wild mushrooms with a truffled rissotto are sublime!
Serve with green salad and bread for those with a bottomless stomach.
Simple puds- fresh fruit this time of the year- washed and simply prepared excellent!
I regularly cook three course dinners for 6-8 on our sailing boat and have never had to compromise on quality yet!

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
thai green curry is also good
altho you I tend to go safe and use two pans as cook rice seperate then mix them when the chicken and rice are cooked.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>if guinness is good for you. i must be very very good</font color=red>