Help Relocating Our Boat

Dougal McTavish

Visit site
Hello fellow sailors and boaters. I’ve not been here for some time and had to reregister.
I could really do with your help please…
Due to my own failing health, COVID and all its associated problems, my elderly 32ft motor-sailor has been stuck in France for a long time and I’ve been unable to travel.
I need to start planning to get it back to the UK but have absolutely zero knowledge of UK marinas or berths etc in my region (or any region). I live in West Wiltshire and need somewhere to bring the boat that won’t cost the earth. We most definitely cannot afford the prices of the premier UK marinas. Besides, they probably wouldn’t want my ‘old bus’ in their marinas?
Any info at all would be extremely useful, whether it relates to hard standing or afloat.

pvb

Visit site
Are you planning to sell the boat? A number of brokers will provide free hardstanding if you list the boat with them.

Tiderace

Visit site
you could look towards wales but that will add considerable distance to a delivery back. I've no idea on price base there, so hopefully somebody will be along to advise.

somewhere around plymouth is a useful option . we are north wiltshire and kept our boat in Mayflower for the summers. easy to get to down the m5, except fridays and any day on a bank holiday weekend!!! mainstream marinas in plymouth are not cheap , even by solent prices, but if you need a marina try torpoint marina, or if you can deal with a swining mooring try saltash sailing club.

iantomlinson

Visit site
Need to know more details;
type/make and age/condition.
Where in france? Might be cost of a crew to sail her back versus bring on trailer,
Is she up to a sailing back?
Where are you prefering to keep her.? dependant on how far you can travel for upkeep/use/sell???
Our is 34ft in dartmouth on trot(all year)-- about £1000 p.a.
Lean against wall to scrape bottom.
Easy motorway. easy tides. distance from you?
Is bristol channnel closer-- prices/tides??
wales convenient?? don't know where-- seems to be busy
south coast convenience-- cost of repairs/berthing?

I presume british registered and vat proof??

Last edited:

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Depending on your draft (under 2 mtrs) you could get a fore and aft riverside mooring on the R Frome (Poole - Wareham) with the Environment Agency for £912 pa. You can stay on the water for all 12 months or lift out and store at Ridge Wharf for winter at extra cost.
Environment Agency 02030252544 or Exeter 01392 352448 under normal circumstances.

Brentwales

Visit site
There are 2 yacht clubs outside of Bristol on the English side of the channel close to you. Weston Bay Yacht Club has river moorings at a cost of £200 pa which includes mooring licence and full membership. Burnham on Sea also operate similar with £200pa full membership which would include your mooring. Alternatively, consider selling her in France

ashtead

Visit site
Take her to the medina and see if you can lift ashore or park up in island harbour for the winter. Wicormarine might be another option if looking at mainland. Is Poole harbour your closest port of any size?

Stemar

Visit site
A tidal mooring in Portsmouth Harbour won't cost the earth and most of them are in deep gloopy mud and you'd dry out fine. If you want to stay afloat, it costs more, but it isn't too outrageous. Gosport Boat Yard aren't the cheapest, but you get a water taxi included.

Dougal McTavish

Visit site
MASSIVE thanks for all this help folks. The boat is actually an old 1979, French made Beneteau Evasion 32 3/4 keel. I'm pretty sure we can sail her to the UK from Brittany.
She is on the SSR so problem there.
HOWEVER, The boat has never been out of France to my knowledge and I have no idea how the whole VAT thing works. Surely, a boat of this age is not going to flag up on any VAT systems.
She was French registered when we bought her and we immediately switched to the SSR.
Although the value is now negligible compared to what we paid about 15 years ago, I am hoping to sell it, so maybe the Broker yard option might work, but only if a Broker would go anywhere near such an old girl lol.
Thoughts?